Subject: [xtm-wg] Chair's response/clarification: IDEAlliance and TopicMaps.org

A bit of clarification:

The decision was originally reached unilaterally, WITHOUT discussing it with
me and I was originally notified with 1 week's notice.  I appealed the
decision and, as can be seen, have been subsequently turned down.

Things that I discussed with Paul when I appealed the decision included the
fact the IDEAlliance never stated that there was a problem or that they
desired a greater role in things.  Paul and other IDEAlliance management
were in the room when the charter was developed and NEVER raised an issue
about how things were organized.  I, personally, think that this is the time
that TM.Org could have used IDEAlliance for marketing the finished spec, web
site maintenance, etc.  However, they stand by their original decision.

Paul admitted that the association with TopicMaps.Org costs them very little
on a resource scale, however, I believe that the turmoil over the last few
weeks weighed heavily on IDEAlliance's unilateral decision and they want to
distance themselves from it.

Para 3.7 of the charter states:

"IDEAlliance will serve as the initial Host Organization for TopicMaps.Org.
A change in host organization requires a two-thirds majority vote. The terms
and conditions of the relationship between TopicMaps.Org and the host
organization will be defined in a separate document that must be approved by
an absolute majority of the Participating Members."

I am not aware of any terms and conditions that were defined under the
previous chairs.

So now we are left in a tough spot.  I'm open to suggestions about new hosts
or how to proceed independently.

Eric Freese                                    Email: eric@isogen.com
Director - Professional Services - Midwest     Voice:    651 636 9180
ISOGEN International/DataChannel               Fax:      651 636 9191
1611 West County Road B - Suite 204            WWW:    www.isogen.com
St. Paul, MN 55113                                www.datachannel.com