Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] XTM & OASIS

Eric Freese wrote:

> OASIS has been mentioned as a possible new host for the XTM work.  Before I
> speak with the OASIS folks I would like to know the following:
>
> - How many of the members of TopicMaps.Org are also members of OASIS?
>
> - If you or your organization is not currently a member, would paying OASIS
> membership dues prevent you from continuing your work in TopicMaps.Org?

As an employee of Sun, I am an OASIS member.

Eric, perhaps it would be helpful to let people know the costs of joining
OASIS. I'm trying to hit the OASIS site right now, but our proxy server
is dead on its feet and isn't returning web pages right now. Must be the
rain...

The membership for individuals is $250, small companies I think around
$2500 (depending on size, but all non-member companies are fairly small),
and any company that doesn't want to join could send an individual in
for $250. Since TopicMaps.Org is composed of individuals, this seems
somewhat appropriate.

I thought I might add that in discussions I've had lately I'm led to
believe that OASIS would welcome having someone create an OASIS
Technical Committee (TC) for further work on XTM, and that it only
requires three OASIS members to start a TC. So in theory we could do
that right now since we have at least three TopicMaps.Org members
whose companies are OASIS members. Of course, the important thing
here isn't the creation of the TC but the re-aggregation of our
community under a different umbrella, and this requires agreement.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      the wood louse sits on a splinter and sings to the rising sap
      ain't it awful how winter lingers in springtimes lap -- archy

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2cW4jC/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM