Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] The Future of TopicMaps.Org

Although I can hardly claim to be impartial in this matter, I also have a
lot at stake in the success of the Topic Map paradigm. I also have a lot
riding on XTM as an expression of the Topic Map paradigm

I think that some combination of Steve's proposed opitions might be useful.

In the first place, the primary responsibility for the Topic Map paradigm,
as defined by ISO/IEC 13250, lies in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34, and the actual work
is done in SC34/WG3, which Steve convenes. In SC34, the specific
responsibility for Topic Maps lies with the editors, Michel Biezunski,
Martin Bryan, and Steve Newcomb. Anything that purports to represent the
whole of the Topic Map universe needs to work through the SC34 structure if
it is to make much claim to be authoritiative. SC34 has several resources
available for bringing in the obviously very valuable work that has been
done by TM.org. In particular, I sense near unanimous agreement on the XTM
1.0 DTD. The DTD could easily be added to ISO/IEC 13250 and thus have the
full weight of an ISO/IEC standard behind it, in addition to its being
something we agree among ourselves about. Putting the work in JTC1 has other
advantages. JTC1 has liaison with the W3C that has been used in the past for
joint development projects (e.g., Web CGM, SVG). I think that most of us
want the W3C to pay attention to XTM. Having it come from JTC1 would add a
lot of emphasis to XTM.

One of the objections I often hear to participation in ISO work is that it
takes involvment in some national standards body and a lot of associated
expense. While I obviously don't want to denigrate the national bodies,
particularly after they all strongly endorsed ISO/IEC 13250, I want to point
out that there is another, much less expensive way to participate in SC34.
The International SGML/XML Users' Group has a long-standing liaison
membership in SC34, through which it has had very significant influence on
the development of SC34's standards. Case in point, ISO 13250: at times, all
three of the editors were participating in SC34 on behalf of ISUG. It cost
$62 to join ISUG. If you pay your dues, Charles Goldfarb (the delegation
leader) and I (the ISUG president) can add you to the ISUG delegation, and
you can participate in any SC34 meeting or discussion. (Added benefits of
ISUG membership are a $50 discount on registration at a GCA conference and
the chance to join OASIS for $125.)

I agree that there's a need for a marketing front in addition to a technical
development front for the project. The ISUG board is already interested in
participating in that sort of activity (including financial support) and
will discuss it at the ISUG General Meeting at XML Europe 2001. OASIS
certainly should be considered. OASIS has the very obvious strength that it
has a full-time staff and experience in marketing.

Jim Mason

James David Mason, Ph.D.

(Chairman ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34)
http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34
Y-12 National Security Complex
Bldg. 9113, Room 337I
P.O. Box 2009, M.S. 8208
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-8208

+1 865 574 6973

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4cW4jC/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM