trans-ws message

Subject: Re: [trans-ws] XHTML version of Trans WS

Hi Robin,

Many thanks for your reply. Converting the original document into XHTML
was not too difficult. I used Eclipse and the XMLBuddy plugin to do the
edit/review. Eclipse is free and XMLBuddy has a free version for the
things you need. Together they are an excellent combination.

If you look at the tw.css file it has imho a better style for <pre>
element with a nice background that emphasizes the code.

Thank you also for your thoughts and comments. I will try and review AIR
this week.

As regards the current TransWS specification document, I feel we are
still missing some key elements, such as normative and non-normative
reference appendices and the prologue also needs to be 'beefed up'

Apart from that I whole heartedly support XHTML as a legal format for
OASIS specifications. It would be a sad day for OASIS if XML
specifications are cannot be published in an XML format. I will support
your initiatives in this area.

On the TransWS front we most probably have enough to start trial
implementations with the Localization Institute has very kindly
volunteered to try out thanks to Prof. Reinhard Schaler.

Best Regards,

AZ

Robin Cover wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Andrzej Zydron wrote:
>

>>Hi Everyone,
>>
>>Please find attached the XHTML version of the spec document. I have
>>applied the OASIS style sheet to the document, but I think that the
>>XLIFF one works much better as regards code fragments etc.
>

> Hi Andrzej.  Nice to see that you have used XHTML, per the
> encouragement from Mary McRae:
>
>    "I'm thrilled to hear that Trans WS wants to use XHTML to produce
>    their specifications!" [1]
>

>>To meet the full OASIS spec requirements as suggested by Robin Cover
>>will entail quite a bit more work over and above what we already have.
>

> Clarification: my posting [2] does not (intend to) add any new
> requirements to the official ones, which can be clarified by Mary McRae
> or by David Petraitis. [3]
>
> My message says three things:
>
> 1) Please take time to participate in the OASIS member review of the
>    draft "Artifact Identification Requirements" (AIR) document which was
>    prepared by the OASIS TAB and is open for comment through
>    July 27, 2005. [4]  Note that these requirements for artifact
>    identification are not "official" in any way: the document is
>    just a draft proposal for Member review.
>
> 2) I support your decision to use XHTML in your spec work, even
>    though the OASIS TC Process document [5] at the present time
>    does not appear to allow the TC to present XHTML as an
>    approved format: only "HTML" is approved.  As we know,
>    there are major differences between HTML and XHTML:
>    HTML, if it's valid, conforms to an SGML DTD; XHTML
>    is XML, and uses namespaces (etc).
>
>    The AIR document at lines 315-316 is consistent with
>    the current "OASIS Technical Committee Process" [5],
>    which says in section 2.18 'Specification Quality' that
>    "All TC-approved versions of documents (i.e. Committee
>    Drafts, Public Review Drafts, and Committee
>    Specifications) must be submitted to the TC's document
>    repository in the editable source, HTML, and PDF formats."
>
> 3) If you want to see the OASIS Technical Committee Process
>    amended to allow the use of XHTML as an approved format,
>    you could indicate this request in connection with your
>    review of the AIR proposal.  Alternately, of course,
>    if you want to request a change in the OASIS Technical Committee
>    process, you could (a) mention this to your TC Staff
>    contact; (b) send a note to Mary McRae, who works with
>    the templates [mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org]; (c) have your
>    Technical Committee send a TC-sponsored memo to the OASIS Board of
>    Directors, who approved the Technical Committee Process [6];
>    (d) post a message to the oasis-member-discuss list at
>    oasis-member-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org; do all of (a) - (d)
>
> Since I wrote my earlier message, I changed my mind about this:
>

>>For these reasons and others, I believe the AIR document
>>and the TC Process document should mandate XHTML for OASIS
>>TC (final) spec work.
>

> It should probably be "should allow XHTML for OASIS TC (final)
> [...]

email - azydron@xml-intl.com
smail - c/o Mr. A.Zydron
	PO Box 2167
         Gerrards Cross
         Bucks SL9 8XF
	United Kingdom
Mobile +(44) 7966 477 181
FAX    +(44) 1753 480 465
www - http://www.xml-intl.com

may not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. Unless
explicitly stated otherwise this message is provided for informational
purposes only and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer.