Subject: Fwd: (UN announces completion of ebXML)

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 06:12:04 -0700
Subject: UN/CEFACT ANNOUNCES SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF ebXML TECHNICAL STANDARDS WORK PROGRAMME WITH OASIS
From: Klaus-Dieter Naujok <knaujok@attglobal.net>
To: "UN/CEFACT TMG General Discussion List" <uncefact-tmg-general@listman.disa.org>

United Nations Economic Commission for Europe

Press Release ECE/TRADE/03/
Geneva, 21 August 2003

PRESS RELEASE

UN/CEFACT ANNOUNCES SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF ebXML TECHNICAL STANDARDS
WORK PROGRAMME WITH OASIS
UN/CEFACT CONTINUES DEVELOPMENT OF TECHNOLOGY- AND
IMPLEMENTATION-NEUTRAL E-BUSINESS STANDARDS

Geneva, Switzerland, 21 August 2003 —The United Nations Centre for
Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business (UN/CEFACT) announces the
successful completion of the ebXML technical standards work with the
Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards
(OASIS). UN/CEFACT continues to capitalize on the gains made from ebXML
in the further development of technology-neutral and
implementation-neutral global e-Business standards for government,
industry and commerce.

UN/CEFACT and OASIS have since 1999 been working on a joint initiative
to expand the use and growth of the Internet by developing the next
generation of electronic business standards based on XML (eXtensible
Markup Language). The ebXML (electronic Business with XML) initiative
called for an 18-month worldwide open development project to create a
technical framework enabling the use of XML as a consistent means for
the exchange of electronic business data. The original ebXML initiative
concluded in May 2001 with full community approval of a framework of
technical specifications.

For the past two years, UN/CEFACT and OASIS have enjoyed a close
working relationship to finalize the set of ebXML specifications, and
in May 2003 the UN/CEFACT Plenary adopted these as  UN/CEFACT Technical
Specifications.

  “Working closely with our colleagues at OASIS has been a unique
opportunity for UN/CEFACT to lead the development of global technology
standards and help drive awareness of how XML and Internet technology
support government, industry and commerce” says Ray Walker, Chair of
the UN/CEFACT Steering Group. “We are extremely proud of our OASIS
working relationship and we remain open to working with OASIS in the
future.”

UN/CEFACT, which is based at UNECE in Geneva and has a global remit,
has led the development of international standards for electronic
transactions. Its experience and its ability to bring together
world-class experts and match trends in information technology with
business requirements, in an open and transparent way, gives it a
unique viewpoint.

” Recognition that the next technology trend is just around the corner
resulted in the recent UN/CEFACT Plenary meeting directing a new work
programme to move UN/CEFACT closer to web services” said Dr Christian
Fruhwald, Chair of UN/CEFACT. “This new work, known as UN/CEFACT
Business Collaboration Framework (BCF), will allow UN/CEFACT to
identify the growing needs of government, commercial and industrial
organizations as they approach their global information exchange
requirements.”

“Going forward we expect to make use of much of our ebXML technical
work as we continue to develop UN/CEFACT’s technology neutral and
implementation neutral global e-framework. We hope to use the newly
established liaisons with the OASIS Business Process Execution Language
(BPEL) Technical Committee (TC), plus the Web Services Interoperability
Organization (WS-I) and our UN/CEFACT Techniques and Methodologies
Business Process Working Group to align our efforts, and eliminate
duplication of work”, says Klaus-Dieter Naujok Chair of UN/CEFACT
Techniques and Methodologies Group and former Chair of the ebXML
Project.

For more information, please contact:

Santiago Garcia-Mila
Chair, UN/CEFACT Communications and Promotions Group
+34 933 306 88 00
Santiago_g_mila@apb.es

Klaus-Dieter Naujok
Chair, UN/CEFACT Technologies and Methodologies Group
+ 1 925.706.2954
klaus@ge-bac.com

Ray Walker
Chair, UN/CEFACT Steering Group
+44 208 297 1836
raywalker@attglobal.net

Hans A. Hansell
Deputy Director, Trade Development and Timber Division, UNECE
+41 22 917 2457
Hans.Hansell@unece.org

--
Klaus-Dieter Naujok                         UN/CEFACT/TMG Chair
Global e-Business Advisory Council            Principal Advisor

---
You are currently subscribed to the uncefact-tmg-general listserve.