ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Details on the Methodology

Title: Message

Ken,
  I would guess the reason choice and all are forbidden is due to the process used.
  1. It is painful to represent choice (or all) in Excel spreadsheets.
  2. It is painful to model choice (or all) in UML diagrams.
  3. If you allow choice or all, then do you also allow groups?  (a|b|(c,d,e)|f)

Actually,  it isn't that it's painful to model 'choice' or 'all', it's just painful to model 'more than one' of the 3 possibilities (sequence, choice or all)... and I guess 'sequence' was the lucky winner.

Of course, I would think that implementations not tied to the UBL process can extend the base schemas using choice or all, if need be.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Sall, Ken [mailto:ksall@silosmashers.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 11:23 AM
To: Tim McGrath; Tom Gaven
Cc: ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org

Tim, Tom, et al,
 Tom Gaven>  I also think the General XSD Rules section of  the Naming and Design rules document could be split into 2 sections.
Section 1.  From the perspective of the UBL 'process'
Section 2.  From the perspective of implementors extending the UBL schemas.

I agree that the document should be split. On a related point, I posted a message just before Christmas [1] requesting that the general algorithm used in the spreadsheet be stated in English in the NDR document, as Eve Maler once did. Only response I saw was from Joe Chiusano (thanks, Joe).

Tom Gaven> [GSX8, xsd:choice element MUST NOT be used]

I really cannot understand why UBL forbids xsd:choice. Aside from the fact that even DTDs permit choices, there are many applications in which a content model must reflect a choice. For example, suppose a government form allows the user to include either a TIN or SSN for identification purposes, or another application allows one of 4 parameters for a search. How can we possibly create UBL-compliant XSDs that meet our business needs with such a restriction on content models? We would be forced to create redundant schema that differ only in such choices, an obvious maintenance headache.

Ken Sall, SiloSmashers
[also GSA e-Gov Initiative, Integrated Acquisition Environment PMO]