ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Patent encumberances as they apply to UBL?

[david.lyon@computergrid.net:]

| Does anybody know what patents are held that
| might inhibit the use of UBL?

I don't believe that anyone on earth knows this.  There are
certainly patents out there broad enough that someone could claim
infringement; for example

  http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39200357,00.htm

| is it safe to implement a UBL based system and
| be free from a big company claiming patent abuse?

I Am Not A Lawyer, but it's my understanding that you cannot
implement anything and be sure that someone won't claim patent
infringement.

| There seems to be much talk on xml-dev about
| various companies holding patents over xml work.
|
| Do any of these patents apply to UBL?

Do any of them apply in reality to anything?

I have it on good authority that a certain large company has a
patent on the idea of an electronic purchase order.  Whether such
a patent means anything in practice is an open question.

| What patent encumberances are there that might
| apply to UBL?

I think that this is impossible to know; see above.

[chiusano_joseph@bah.com:]

[david@drrw.info:]

| OASIS does not track patents held by non-members, nor members who
| are not participating in that TC's activities.

Nor can it.  Nor can anyone.

Jon