ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Patent encumberances as they apply to UBL?

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:19 am, David Webber (XML) wrote:
> Actually you have to persist <free speech>my opinion</free speech>
> from a programming language memory object in a document
> presentation into a storage media using XML.

That's something I have been doing since before 2001...

now it is illegal, without written permission from ms..

> So technically you are not infringing - and especially if like me you
> are typing this in Outlook or Outlook Express ; -)

I'm not using an Outlook product, so therefore I am..

how can everybody be expected to hand type xml into
Outlook or Outlook Express? isn't that a major step backward?

> Microsoft clearly got the patent as a defense against crazies trying
> to patent the XML mechanisms in MS Word....

In the process, lock every body else out from using an
what was an "open" standard...

This is a restriction on freedom of speech. It's like saying
that you can hand-write documents, but not use a printing
press because some big company saw a printing press
in their travels and has patented it 400 years after it's
original invention.

it's a way to stop the production of all machine
based based xml systems....

now, if I am not mistaken, we must all now get
written permission from microsoft to keep using
our UBL sytems...

I'm not being paranoid...

I'm just trying to follow International law as it
is being dictated... and it seems to be getting
worse and worse every day.

This is really bad...