ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] SBS and Restricted Data Types

Joe,

If we look at several major US Gov projects using schema to define an
uber-structure across agencies we see that these only work up to a
point - explicitly because you cannot manage context and role (we won't
mention versioning will we...!).

Example - several elements are marked as optional - that for specific
agencies are required.  Result - errors - rejections, re-transmissions
and confusion amongst users.

Example - elements become overloaded - semantics confused - "Federal
Identifier" for one agency accepts a completely different value from
another agency (format, length, content mask, usage).

Example - code values - globally defined values do not map well to
specific agency / community usage - e.g. "Competing Continuation" has
no equivalence so forced to use "Re-submission" and "Change"
selections.  Result - baffled end users.

I could go on, and on!

This is exactly why we are saying mixing structural mechanism (aka XSD)
with use patterns is a bad thing - and its perfectly OK - nay -
inevitable - that you need a second mechanism - that is context and
role sensitive to overlay on that the actual use pattern.

It's *not* that schema is failed - its mostly that it was *never
designed* to do what people are trying to do with it - otherwise it
would have been engineered completely differently...

There are reasons why CAM templates have five sections and schema only
has one!!!

e.g. :

<CAM>
 <Header> <!-- define context / role variables / version / owner -->
 <AssemblyStructure>
 <BusinessUseContext>
 <ContentReference>
 <DataValidations>