ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] DocumentCurrencyCode in Invoice, CreditNote, SelfBilledInvoice and SelfBilledCreditNote

Although changing the meaning at UBL standard level is a break in backwards compatibility, a semantic shift, if it is defined vaguely enough, it can be tightened at implantation guide level (PEPPOL, etc) so that a rule can override it. There might be a rule, say, that if the document level code is stated, then no other currency code is used in any calculation-significant line level entity. Look at EU profiles to see if this is actually what is done for CEN for the EU. That kind of rule implies the document level currency is optional, for cases when there needs to be latitude over existence of other currencies. For example if tax must be paid in a certain currency but the other amounts can be in any currency. In the case of the SelfBilledCreditNote it might have been a mistake to make it mandatory. But even if it is mandatory, it might be that a list of currency codes used throughout the document could be supplied if it is multiple occurrence. How it is all used in profiles such as CEN and PEPPOL and others outside of EU needs to be considered. It is essential to consider how software uses it too, since it was included for software requirements in the first place. I am not sure that such software company needs get represented in UBL as much as necessary nowadays, and it is important that they watch discussions such as this to monitor to prevent regression in how closely their requirements are met over time as new versions are produced. I imagine there are few software product owners who review new versions in public reviews.Â