ubl-hisc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-hisc] Proposed XPath information instance

At 2005-02-28 22:19 -0700, Micah Dubinko wrote:
>If I go Pythonic, I could easily use something like that, though it would
>be nice if it were more tokenizer friendly

Good point ... but I think I like Stephen's later suggestion of what to use
for indicating the cardinality.

>Since I don't know what kinds of problems I'll be facing, it feels like
>Python would be a faster tool than XSLT. XSLT, though, would probably
>transfer to another developer better. Maybe.

Indeed I used Python myself to go from the "-xpath.xml" file to each of the
HTML, text and XML formats ... SAX is all that is needed for this kind of
stream processing ... and the multi-megabyte XPath files for the complete
UBL package bogged down every XSLT processor I tried.

>If it doesn't heap lots of extra work on you, could you provide both the
>text format and the XML format discussed below? It might be the case as we
>proceed that we realize that one or the other isn't needed, but for now
>flexibility would be good.

So noted.

>>So I'm leaning towards changing the vocabulary names to be more
>>verbose.  What do you think?
>
>Yes, please. At least 2 or 3-letter names. :)

I'll spell it all out ... just wanted to know if one letter was too cryptic
when I included as a comment in the file the detail of the vocabulary.

>>Next ... what to call these "detail" files.
>
>Is there a reason to stick to three-letter extensions? (honestly curious)

Nope ... no reason ... will change to ".html"

>I suggest Order.txt, Order.html, Order.xml, and maybe Order.xpath Whatever
>works.

I like Steve's observation that by keeping it ".xml" then tools will know
how to open it.  I hadn't considered that.

>1. In the below, I initially confused empty <t/> with type. Longer names
>again.

Good point!

>2. Would it make sense to merge minOccurs/maxOccurs into 'occurs', like in
>examplotron? (*,+,.,-)

Rather than the Kleene operators, I'll go with the "0..1" pattern ...
especially noting that we have a "1..7" in one of the fields and a
single-character token can't represent all possible combinations uniquely.

>3. How far is this from RelaxNG? :)

Yes, RELAX-NG does use Kleene operators.  (aside: did you know RELAX is an
abbreviation for "REgular LAnguage for XML"?

Thanks Micah!

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc