ubl-hisc message

Subject: First cut at distillation of Phase 0 layouts

Hello fellow UBL HISC members,

I've just posted a ZIP of 8 layout descriptions for the Phase 0 documents:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/13782/layouts-20050726-2050z.zip

This is only a first cut and is not complete, but it is a start for Zarella
to contemplate how this information can be incorporated using an HISC
namespace into a DocBook+HISC instance that captures a formatting
specification that we publish as a standard.

Then, an XSLT stylesheet (again written by Zarella) will take this
DocBook+HISC instance and transform it into a pure DocBook instance that
can then be formatted into the published formatting specification HTML that
is hyperlinked in the UBL 2.0 deliverable.  The DocBook+HISC instance will
also be hyperlinked in the UBL 2.0 deliverable.  No information should be
duplicated; the pure DocBook instance that uses the DocBook stylesheets to
produce HTML should have in DocBook vocabulary "formatted" the raw layout
information found in the embedded HISC vocabulary.

I, in turn, as a representative stylesheet developer, can take the
DocBook+HISC instance and write a stylesheet to distill out the information
found in the HISC namespace.  This reproduces the attached structures, from
which I should be able to mechanically produce an XSL-FO stylesheet.  If I
can do this, then other product developers using other technologies should
now be fully equipped to write their implementations of our HISC
specifications.

What is missing in the attached structures are all of the XPath addresses
from the existing specifications.  I'm going to try and do that tomorrow,
but thought for the purposes of tonight's teleconference that I should post
these so we can talk about the process in concrete terms instead of just
the abstract terms we have used so far.

In parallel, Zarella can work on the DocBook+HISC framework documents and
XSLT transform to pure DocBook, while I work on the DocBook+HISC transform
to pure HISC information for stylesheet development.  At some point, we'll
have to actually merge into candidate DocBook+HISC instances, which will
then be the subject of maintenance until the time we assemble the final
deliverable.

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc