ubl-hisc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-hisc] Re: SV: Human Interface Group -UBL

I agree with Ken that the specification of behavior (in this case,
data input) is conceptually distinct from the implementation (in
this case, XForms), and I also agree that the former belongs to
the HISC and the latter does not.  But I don't see why we can't
include the XForms in the support package; we're already set to
include the Danish use cases, for example.

Jon

   Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:12:47 -0500
   From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
   Sender: ubl-hisc-return-182-jon.bosak=sun.com@lists.oasis-open.org
   Cc: UBL HISC <ubl-hisc@lists.oasis-open.org>

   Thanks, Peter, for this input!

   At 2006-01-31 18:06 +0100, Peter Larsen Borresen wrote:
   >I the package our agency has promissed to release there will be xslt
   >presentations and xforms for the document types we intent to base our
   >procurement process.

   Kewl!

   >In stead of intenting theesee would like to contribute
   >to UBL so we first help UBL HISC to make a UBL version of this and the make
   >a danish subcommitee based on this work.

   Tremendous!  Though all HISC needs is the *specifications* of the
   input and output presentations, and then hyperlinks to the your
   agency's implementation of these specifications.

   To try and scope HISC to do more than the specification documents
   would stretch the available resources to the point of being unable to
   meet dates.

   >By having a UBL up-running version
   >it will make it easier for implementers to creating there own by copy, paste
   >and modify.

   Perfect.  The Danish repository of the working implementations of the
   UBL specifications would be available for implementers all over to
   consider how your agency has satisfied the requirements and guidelines.

   There will also be other sources of implementations of the
   requirements and guidelines, available in other repositories, that
   implementers can consider when looking to support UBL.  No one
   implementation should be weighed differently from other available
   implementations of the specifications.

   I feel strongly that actually including any particular set of
   implementations in the UBL HISC package is inappropriate, and that it
   suffices that HISC merely point to readily available
   implementations.  The HISC package should be restricted, I believe,
   solely to the specifications of implementation.

   >If we do not think about resources, what will be the best way to
   >cooperate doing this work?

   By prioritizing the effort to first create the specifications of how
   you want the human interfaces to behave, followed later by the
   testing and implementation of those stated behaviours.

   >How can we draw the best line between UBL and a
   >UBL implementation like the Danish?

   I believe by distinguishing the specification of the behaviour of the
   implementation from the actual implementation.  Any efforts expended
   to the organizing, writing, and publishing of the specifications come
   under the purview of HISC, while any efforts expended to their
   implementations could be regarded as either (a) the testing of the
   specification (part of HISC, the deliverable being a confirmation of
   the accuracy and implementability of the specification) and/or (b)
   the satisfaction of Danish objectives of making implementations
   openly available for cut/copy/paste by implementers (not part of
   HISC; the deliverable being the source code and demonstrated behaviours).

   Moreover, once the descriptions of the behaviours have stabilized and
   we have published and included HISC formatting specifications in the
   support package, any implementation can evolve, be tested, be
   repaired, be enhanced, etc. on its own schedule outside of HISC
   requirements, without inadvertently "locking in" any particular
   implementation as part of the HISC package.  This isn't an issue if
   HISC merely points to implementations rather than includes any sample
   implementations.  This is yet another compelling reason, I believe,
   to distinguish the specification of the behaviours from the
   implementations of the behaviours as being, respectively, inside HISC
   deliverables and outside.

   Hopefully this approach will entice alternative proprietary and
   non-proprietary implementations of the behaviours, again outside of
   HISC deliverables.

   >I think at the first meeting we need to
   >scope the HICS work so it fulfills the Danish requirement and the ambitions
   >of UBL HISC.

   The comments above are my own opinions, and I hope they resonate with
   you and other members.  I'm anxious to hear how others feel.  Going
   beyond the above definition of what belongs *inside* HISC from what
   belongs *outside* the committee effort would, I believe, jeopardize a
   meaningful and usable level of success that we should be able to
   achieve in the time available.

   I'm anxious that as much of this discussion as possible be done as we
   are talking today over the mail list.  I would like any HISC meeting
   to be merely a confirmation of mail list discussions and an
   opportunity only when necessary to more quickly go into a level of
   detail inappropriate for email.  Lately HISC teleconferences have
   been held in America evening and Asia morning (because at the time we
   thought we would be getting some input from Asia) ... which would be
   inappropriate for European contribution.  Unfortunately, America
   morning and European afternoon meetings are difficult for me to
   attend because of my corporate responsibilities, though these don't
   resume for me until April.

   If we find we still need a teleconference, then I'd like to schedule
   a morning/afternoon time next week ... but I have to check with Jon
   as to which morning/afternoon slots are available for us to
   use.  Let's see if we can engage the wider HISC membership through email first.

   Thank you again for engaging in this discussion, Peter.

   --
   Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:  Denver,CO March 13-17,2006
   Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc