ubl-hisc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-hisc] Re: SV: Human Interface Group -UBL

At 2006-02-01 12:55 -0800, jon.bosak@sun.com wrote:
>I agree with Ken that the specification of behavior (in this case,
>data input) is conceptually distinct from the implementation (in
>this case, XForms), and I also agree that the former belongs to
>the HISC and the latter does not.  But I don't see why we can't
>include the XForms in the support package; we're already set to
>include the Danish use cases, for example.

Oh, I can probably be convinced that it is fine to include the XForms
in the package if the effort to do so doesn't detract from the
completion of the specification components that are critical to the
HISC package.

But I am reluctant to do so because it might blur the committee
responsibilities, plus it would bias the XForms implementation of the
input specs to other proprietary and non-proprietary implementations
... pointing from the package to a dynamic web page maintained by
HISC of implementations of input and output specs would put all
implementations on a level ground.

And as I mentioned before, specifications are static while
implementations evolve ... if we included any implementation in the
package, it won't be long before that implementation would be
superceded by a new version, yet we won't be going back into the
package to update it.  We'd be stuck with an "old" implementation and
people might not think to look for an updated version of the
implementation elsewhere.

But, I don't feel so strongly as to block its inclusion ... it just
doesn't feel right to me.

What I do feel strongly about is that we complete the specification
aspects of input and output first before we worry about implementations.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:  Denver,CO March 13-17,2006
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc