ubl-l10n message

Subject: RE: [ubl-l10n] Test of multilingual data dictionary

Hello all,

I'd rather prefer to coordinate those issues by mail because I'm not able to
attend Pacific TC phone calls.

I've seen and corrected the points you stated in your other mail for the
UBL-Reusable-1.0.xls file and I'd like to know how do you plan to move
forward with the other maindoc spreadsheets.

Regards.
Oriol

-----Original Message-----
From: jon.bosak@sun.com [mailto:jon.bosak@sun.com]
Sent: dimarts, 23 / novembre / 2004 17:51
To: ubl-l10n@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ubl-l10n] Test of multilingual data dictionary

Hello UBL Localization Chairs,

In the Santa Clara UBL meeting, I committed to attempting to
produce a single data dictionary that would contain all the UBL
terms and translated definitions.  Constructing such a dictionary
would have the following benefits:

 - Allow us to track a single document through Committee Draft
   balloting

 - Enable Q/A by directly comparing the versions created by the
   different localization subcommittees

 - Enable the assignment of persistent identifiers (OASIS
   Published Subject Identifiers) to each definition

As an exercise, I spent a long train trip putting the current
translations of UBL-Reusable-1.0.xls into a single spreadsheet,
which I have appended below.  Please note that this is just a
test; it should not be used as the basis for any of the actual
translation work.  I am sharing it with you for your information
and to give us an example for further discussion.

As a side effect of this exercise, I was able to identify a number
of differences between the UBL 1.0 Standard version of
UBL-Reusable-1.0.xls and the UBL Names, Dictionary Entry Names,
and English Definitions in the translated versions of this
speadsheet.  I have listed these differences in a separate
message.  Note that I have not yet attempted this comparison for
the eight document spreadsheets.

We need to decide how to move forward with this.  So I must ask
the LSC chairs: would you prefer to coordinate by email on this
ubl-l10n list, or should we coordinate using the Pacific TC phone
calls?  If we coordinate by email, I will need you to commit to
timely responses; this may require you to appoint someone familiar
with English to monitor this list and respond to questions and
directions.

Jon