Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] UML class diagrams generated from draft 4

it is quite impressive how close the orginal and the generated diagrams are!  i must admit yours are more readible :-[

a few things stand out though:

associations:
a. naming of assocations - these are important to show where the names of ASBIEs come from.
b. the cardinaility of associations applies to each end - a guess if you assume the navigation path from the arrow direction (see comment below) then i suppose on the 'target' cardinality is useful.
c.association or generalisation - i thought that the filled-in triangular arrowhead denotes a generalization (it seems to sometimes be filled in and sometimes empty).  but 'Address' is not a generalisation of 'Party'?? what i thought we wanted to show was navigatable associations.. that is 'knowing a Party we can find its Address'.  thats why i used the -> type arrowhead.   have i got i wrong?

packaging:
 it is somewhat awkward but we need to make decisions what goes in which package - for example having Address inside AllowanceCharge is not inituitive.  the schemas themselves don't convey these packages - so i am not sure how you could logically group things.

Dave Carlson wrote:
Hi Tim,

No problem.  Generating the diagrams is very easy.  I also just finished
printing your hand-edited diagrams and will try to duplicate your choice of
modularity.

I also plan to write a white paper on modeling UBL schemas with UML, including
generating new customized extensions that follow the UBL customization
guidelines (e.g. Acme procurement extensions).  For that, I will look into
repartitioning the reverse-engineered UML model to divide the monolithic
Reusable package into logical sub-packages accoring to your diagram packages
(Address, Contract, etc.).

Cheers,
  Dave