Subject: Re: SV: SV: [ubl-psc] UBL PSC TC- Schema Generation

At 2009-10-09 22:39 +0200, Peter L. Borresen wrote:
>I see your point. Because of the ripple effect if a ABIE has a version 2.1
>BBIE, then itself becomes a 2.1 ABIE. An ABIE cannot contain ASBIEs or BBIEs
>of a higher version. Tim, please correct me if I am wrong.

I know you are not asking me, Peter, you are asking Tim ... but I'm
more confident now after explaining in my post
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-psc/200910/msg00011.html and
thinking about it after that the column should be reserved for the
version number that a row in the model was added to the model, not
when its children were last changed.

One can derive the latest version by when its contents were last
changed by looking at the versions of its children.  But one loses
the version an ASBIE was added if it is overwritten with that
information that can be derived simply from its members.

Why lose useful information by information that can be calculated when needed?

If I'm looking at the model for UBL 2.7, I would think it would be
very useful to know when a particular ABIE was introduced into UBL
(in case I have to roll back to it for some reason).  It would tell
me, for example, that I cannot roll back to before version 2.4
because up to 2.3 the particular ABIE was not in the model.

Though I wonder if I could look at the earliest version of any of an
ABIEs children to know when that ABIE was created ... but that
introduces a different meaning for the column for ABIEs than for
ASBIEs and BBIEs.  In order to keep the meaning of the column the
same for all rows, I think we have to interpret the column as the
version in which the row was introduced into the model.

So I believe that indeed an ABIE can contain ASBIEs and BBIEs of a
higher version.

I hope this is helpful ... and I am curious what Tim thinks as well.

--
Upcoming: hands-on code list, UBL, XSLT, XQuery and XSL-FO classes
in Copenhagen Denmark and Washington DC USA, October/November 2009