ubl-security message

Subject: Re: Re: [ubl-security] UBL-XAdES-Profile 1.0-RC1

At 2010-08-13 15:35 +0200, Roberto Cisternino wrote:
>We originally avoided binding the URI to a specific version of UBL because
>this methodology could be used with UBL 2.0 and later versions.
>
>I also would like to enphatise that this URI should be clearly represent a
>a profile for digital signatures with UBL.
>
>So the actual URI is in some way assciated to the above concept.
>
>http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/securitysc/cd-dsigp-1/signature
>
>But the new URI is too generic:
>
>http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.1/etc/signature-defined
>
>I agree that pointing to a permanent location is valuable, so as UBL 2.1
>is a minor version I think the UBL-2.1 root is fine but the URI should be
>revised to meet the original intentions.
>
>For instance:
>
>http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.1/etc/profiles/dsig/signature-defined

What your message, Roberto, has brought to light
in your very first sentence is that of course the
current extension and methodology would work just
fine with a UBL 2.0 instance ... which now makes
me uncomfortable with labeling it UBL 2.1.

And add to that the need highlighted this morning
of identifying the ordinal signature number in the party identifier:

At 2010-08-13 08:38 +0200, Andrea Caccia wrote:
>So we can have also
>http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/securitysc/cd-dsigp-1/ubldsig/N
>(where N=1, 2, … ) instead of UBLDSIG or
>UBLDOCDSIG to identify the document signatures?
>But are we following the UBL common practices here?

Well, what we have done before in UBL for URI
strings (e.g. namespaces) is use URN values, not URL values.

At 2010-08-13 08:38 +0200, Andrea Caccia wrote:
>We can try to change current assumption that
>there is only a single cac:Signature and I propose the following:
>- there is a 1:1 mapping between cac:Signature
>elements and UBLextension elements containing signatures
>- we add a <cbc:ID> optional element inside
><ublsig:document-signatures
>xmlns:ublsig="urn:X-figure-this-out-later"> (as
>you proposed in another mail in place of
><odsig:document-signatures>). This new element
>MAY be present if there is a cac:Signature and,
>if present, MUST be set equal to the cbc:ID in
>the corresponding cac:Signature. I see here a
>good reason to have a new schema defined. I have
>indeed a little preference for
><ublsig:signatures> as it is the most used signature container wrapper.
>- if there is more than one cac:Signature in the
>UBL document, each MUST have a <cbc:ID> that
>maps to <cbc:ID> element inside
><ublsig:document-signatures> that MUST be
>present too. So, in case a single signature is
>present as in most cases, the cac:Signature is
>optional and everything is as it is now.
>- for detached signatures I propose to have them
>applicable only to the whole document as it is now

I agree with all the above.

So, consider the following:

(1) - the UBL TC defines a URN for the profile
which is used for both the signature method and the extension identification:

    urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:profile:dsig:signature

(2) - the UBL TC defines a URN for the document signatures:

    urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signatures

(3) - we standardize the convention that, when
known a priori, the ordinal signature number is
reflected in the URI as a suffix in order to
uniquely identify which digital signature is
associated with which cac:SignatoryParty:

    urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signatures:1

- this will be important in the example where we
have four signatures in the document and we need
to correlate that the first signatory party is the third signature
- note this ordinal suffix must be optional and
not mandatory, because as signatories add their
signature to the signature block, there is no way
to go back in to the XML document and cite the
particular ordinal number in the <cbc:ID> because
that changes the document that was signed by prior signatories
- so, we document the convention so that if a
processing system knows ahead of adding any
signatures what the order of the signatories will
be, then it adds the ":n" suffix, but if it must
complete the document before any of the
signatories adds their digital signature, then it
cannot use the ":n" suffix because there is no
guarantee that the signatures will be injected in the correct order
- this means if there is only one signatory, the
suffix can either be absent or ":1"

I am now proceeding to make the UBL 2.1 PRD1
Release Candidate 2 schemas ... if anyone reads
this right away and has any major concerns,
please voice them immediately.  But don't worry
if the timing isn't right, we can change things for PRD2.

I've attached a ZIP file with a signed example
reflecting the above (I hope!) and schema
fragments that I will put into the release
candidate later today ... and you can see that it
validates by two W3C Schema processors:

~/u/UBL/UBL2.1/sig $ w3cschema xsd/maindoc/UBL-Invoice-2.1.xsd sigtest.xml
Xerces...
Attempting validating, namespace-aware parse
Parse succeeded (0.877) with no errors and no warnings.
Saxon...
No validation errors
~/u/UBL/UBL2.1/sig $

Oriol, are you in a position to remove from the
example the faux-signature and replace it with a
bona-fide signature and test it?

Please advise of any recommended changes.  Thank
you for your patience with me while I wrestle
through these issues in short order under the pressure of PRD1.

gkholman-sigtest-20100813-1710z.zip

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/i/