ubl message

Subject: [ubl] UBL meeting update

Here are several things you should know about the upcoming OASIS
UBL TC meeting in Menlo Park 2001.10.29-11.01.

Hotels

   The reservations we had at the Garden Court have expired, but
   the hold on rooms at the Sheraton and the Westin have been
   extended to Friday, 12 October.  See

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200110/msg00000.html

   for negotiated rates at the Sheraton and the Westin as well as
   pointers to lists of other hotels convenient to the meeting
   location.

Registration

   Under OASIS TC rules, anyone who wants to be an initial voting
   member of the TC *must* register their intent with me no later
   than 15 days before the meeting (29 October).  Earlier I gave
   12 October as the cutoff date because I wanted people to get
   this to me by the end of the day Friday rather than going into
   the weekend, but in actual point of procedural fact you have
   until the end of the day Sunday 14 October to tell me that you
   are going to attend the meeting.  I will probably accept
   requests made after that date to attend the meeting as an
   observer, but under the rules you cannot be an initial voting
   member if you don't register with me by COB 14 October.

   Note that subscribing to the UBL mail list is *not* the same as
   notifying me that you are going to be at the meeting.  If
   you're in any doubt about your status, please refer to the
   current registration list at

      http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/200110/reg.htm

   If you are not on that list, then you are not registered.

Meeting Location

   Since names continue to come in, I'm still not exactly sure
   which room we will need to accommodate everyone who will be in
   attendance at the plenary sessions on Monday 29 October and
   Thursday 1 November, but I can tell you for sure that the
   subcommittee meetings 30 and 31 October will be in the big Sun
   campus in Menlo Park, at the foot of the Dumbarton Bridge, and
   that the chances are very good that the plenary sessions will
   be held at the same place.  There is a steadily decreasing but
   still nonzero probability that the plenaries will end up a few
   miles away in Palo Alto in the same room we used for the UBL
   Group meeting last April.  This uncertainty should not affect
   your choice of hotels; the ones that would be most convenient
   to the Palo Alto location would also be the ones I would pick
   for Menlo Park, so you should go ahead and book your room based
   on the information referred to above.

   Given the current economic climate and the fact that UBL is not
   being supported by any rich vendor consortia, there won't be
   any official receptions or dinners or catered lunches, but both
   the Palo Alto and Menlo Park locations are just steps away from
   large, very well provided corporate cafeterias that carry a
   wide range of dishes to accommodate different diets, so meals
   during the day should not be a problem.  You're on your own at
   night, but if you followed my advice about where to stay in
   Palo Alto, you will find a number of excellent restaurants
   within walking distance of your hotel.

Membership Following the Meeting

   A number of people have asked me whether they can join the TC
   even if they can't attend the initial meeting.  The answer is
   yes.  Any OASIS member can join any OASIS TC.  The only catch
   is that the process interposes a waiting period to prevent
   special interest groups from trying to "stack" a TC in order to
   influence particular votes.  If you want to join the TC after
   its first meeting, send me mail (not now, I'll just lose track
   of it) certifying your OASIS eligibility and telling me of your
   intention to join, and after three more TC meetings or 60 days,
   whichever comes first, you will automatically be added as a
   voting member.

   (In earlier mail I said "two meetings or 60 days."  I should
   know better than to rely on memory for procedural details.  If
   you have any questions about the OASIS TC process, it would be
   a good idea to refer to the current policy at

      http://oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml

   rather than relying on me to remember the details correctly.)

Jon Bosak
Chair, UBL Group
Designated Chair, OASIS UBL TC