ubl message

Subject: UBL code list value validation methodology (draft version 0.4)

I have just uploaded the latest draft of my revised UBL code list
value validation methodology based on the feedback received for
improving the documentation and on finishing expected and new
implementation changes:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/16765/UBL-codelist-methodology-0.4.zip

This is a methodology whereby one can formally and unambiguously
express the association between contexts of information items in a
document model and a set of externally-expressed lists of coded
values allowed for each information item.  This methodology
supplements a read-only structurally-oriented schema expression for a
single or multiple document types by providing techniques for
expressing subsets of coded values, supersets of coded values, and
different sets of coded values allowed to be in different document
contexts for the same type of information item.  Not all schema
languages provide for such co-occurrence constraints to be expressed.

In UBL the read-only structurally-oriented W3C Schema expression
published by the UBL committee can be supplemented by trading
partners needing to agree on the constraints of coded values
expressing agreed-upon business rules in formal code list context
association files validated by this methodology.

This draft contains everything that was anticipated to go into this
package, including both Linux-based and Windows-based demonstration
environments.  If you think anything is missing, please let me know
as I don't believe there is anything more that needs to be
added.  Also please let me know if anything needs more explanation or
better explanation.

Based on the feedback from other international and some private
projects that expressed interest in the concepts written in version
0.3 of this methodology, I've rewritten the stylesheets in a modular
fashion such that the methodology should be easily functionally
adapted to document models and metadata other than UBL, and external
expressions of code list members other than genericode.  Feedback is
sought from anyone attempting to implement this methodology in
alternative environments, and I will endeavour to accommodate new
requirements in design decisions if these do not jeopardize any UBL
obligations.

Members of the committee are welcome to send comments through normal
committee channels.  Others are welcome to send comments on this
specification to the <ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org> list. To
subscribe, send an email message to
<ubl-dev-request@lists.oasis-open.org> with the word "subscribe" as
the body of the message.

Thanks for any feedback you may have!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

p.s. note that the permanent home for the completed 1.0 version of
this package will be a subdirectory and not an entry in the OASIS
collaboration environment as addressed above.  Therefore,
temporarily, the ZIP entry above contains both a TAR/GZ and a ZIP (of
the same name, but without the TAR/GZ) of the package, and the
locations embedded therein point to the above address.  In the
completed version this will be consistent and the location will be
the permanent subdirectory.

cc: UBL TC, UBL-Dev

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Washington,DC 2006-03-13/17
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc