uddi-dev message

Subject: [uddi-dev] Re: UDDI cannot be compared with Jini/JavaSpaces

Title:

I will elaborate on the reason  why I think you cannot compare Jini/Javaspaces
with UDDI Registry.

Kathryn Breininger of  Boeing  is heading EBXML registry which  is similar
to UDDI registry.
I believe the reason she is a member of this project is because if you look at their business
they are as much an Aircraft assembler as an Aircraft manufacturer.

As an Aircraft assembler they require  thousands  of parts from
bespoke parts manufacturers clustered all  over the world,
supplying parts for a multitude types of Aircrafts.

In order to find a solution for inventory management  Boeing is looking into /using
EBXML as a B-2-B  repository solution.

If you on the other hand  wish to supply a sub-system
for an Aircraft for Boeing you may use Jini/Javaspaces as your
software to implement the hardware of the sub-system for the Aircraft.

Having said that Frank Summers of Autospaces have used   Jini./Javaspaces
to design an architecure/tool to manages an  inventory system for
a particular type of Business namely Car Dealer Ships.

A car manufacturer ,say GM, or an assembler would also use UDDI  for managing their
inventory whilst they may use Jini/Javaspaces in the CAR itself.

Conclusion  -
If  the same business is using the two architecures for different purposes,
then one school of thought will suggest you cannot
compare  the two architecures. They would be right.

However nothing is stopping you if you  wish to adapt the architecure
for your own purpose other than its intended purpose.
In the later case you are exercising your entrepreneur spirit.

ws_dev2001@yahoo.com wrote:
Hello,
Thanks for the response.
I read from most online sources that indeed the 2
technologies cannot be compared and would be muttually
exclusive in terms of alternate options.
However, I have a few queries to make in this regard :
i)Is it possible/useful to bridge the best of what the
2 technological options provide ?
ii)Jini may provide additional features/enhancements
{e.g., Leasing and more elaborate Lookup features
}when compared to UDDI as it has been around
{struggling} for longer.
iii) Is there a network/routing mechanism in Jini
which is feasible for UDDI implementation ?
iv) Is a separate UDDI service discovery protocol
envisaged in the future  ?

<< Opinions are invited >>

Many Thanks.

 --- objectworlds <objectworld6@netscape.net> wrote: >

I found a book on Jini/JavaSpaces (professional Jini
published by Wrox)
written by the resident Architects (15) etc.

I noticed  an enhancement to the Jini/JavaSpaces
Architecure
provided by the resident Jini/JavaSpaces "Experts".

It comprised  of  cleaning the environment using a
batch file
(RunClean.bat).
I took this point to the mailing list  and received
a very interesting
response.

It seems that it is impossible to compare two
architecures because even the
one architecure can be implemented in different
ways.

ws_dev2001@yahoo.com wrote:

Hello,
Is Jini/JavaSpaces an alternative technology to

UDDI.

Was it successful ? If not what were the lessons
learnt ?
Regards,
R2D2.

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

--
Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and
great gift ideas.