Subject: Re: [uddi-spec] keyNames and keyValues for categories

I agree with Claus that Option ii) is the most appropriate one. Option iii)
would only work if you use the uddi:general_keywords taxonomy. I see two
significant problems with Option 1): it would require changes to the UDDI
data structure and APIs (meaning it couldn't be added to the UDDI spec until
V4), and it's redundant, since we already have support for name/value pairs
via custom taxonomies.

In any case, I encourage the grid forum to define a set of custom taxonomies
to represent this information.

We've been talking about defining a process to register "standard"
taxonomies -- those developed by industry groups, standards bodies, and
other organizations -- perhaps in the public registry (although I'm still
not sure how we indicate that the taxonomies have passed through this
process and have achieved some type of formal endorsement). This would
provide us with an excellent pilot project to define and test this process.

Anne

----- Original Message -----
From: "Von Riegen, Claus" <claus.von.riegen@sap.com>
To: "'Matthew J. Dovey'" <matthew.dovey@oucs.ox.ac.uk>;
<uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 9:14 AM

> Matthew,
>
> Option ii), that is, mapping key/value pairs to tModelKey/keyValue pairs
is the most appropriate one. It is strongly typed, programmatically
supported in the Inquiry API (keyNames are not significant in find_xx API
calls for arbitrary tModels), and can be extended with validation services
(if, for example, only certain CPU types are allowed).

> Option iii) does not work since you usually can not search based on
keyNames. You can do that if you use the uddi-org:general_keywords category
system - this would map key/value pairs to keyName/keyValue pairs. But you
are not able to add validation services to general_keywords.

> Adding new structures as in i) would be least appropriate since it is not
standardized.

> Is there a reason why you fear to add a large amount of tModels?
>
> Claus

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/members/leave_workgro
up.php