Subject: Re: VIRTIO_RING_F_INDIRECT_SIZE status

On Mon, Mar 06, 2023 at 04:50:53PM -0500, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2023 at 03:46:01PM -0500, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

> > > Hmm that's unclear in that it might be in bytes too.
> > > Given blk and scsi call these "segments" how about
> > > VIRTIO_RING_F_SEG_MAX?
> >
> > The VIRTIO equivalent of a "segment" is an "element".
>
> Hmm true:
> 	A buffer consists of zero or more device-readable physically-contiguous
> 	elements followed by zero or more physically-contiguous
> 	device-writable elements (each buffer has at least one element).
>
> However we then need to clean this up, since
>
> - At least in one place we say
>
> indirect elements to mean indirect descriptors.
>
> - we also say "queue elements" to mean "avail/desc/used"
> - We also say "descriptor elements" - not 100% sure it's the same.
>
> so we need to clean this up a bit first and maybe add
> text about indirect descriptors not counting as elements.

Haha, yes. I also remembered that QEMU's type for a virtqueue buffer is
called VirtQueueElement :).

My impression from the spec is that when talking about virtqueues an
element is a data blob that's part of a buffer and when talking about
vrings an element descriptor is the ring entry that points to the data
blob. Often the terms are used interchangeably (just "descriptors" or
"elements").

I'm not sure if the distinction is necessary. It might be simpler to
always talk about descriptors and remove the term "element", since there
is no way to avoid talking about descriptors eventually.

Stefan