Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] trouble sending patch with git send-email

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 9:17âAM Cornelia Huck <cohuck@redhat.com> wrote:

> Just to make sure it's not something obvious: Have you double checked
> that the author in git matches the address you subscribed with? Because
> this mail came through, and having the author set to a different address
> without realizing it is something that happens a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I confirmed that the Author for the git commit matches this email address:

Author: T.J. Alumbaugh <talumbau@google.com>

I also generated a cover letter for the patch, since it seems reasonable to include a significant "Motivation" section for a spec addition. That step is actually not in the guidance, but other than that, it's a pretty "vanilla" patch as farÂas I can tell. Is it undesirable to send cover letters for patches?

-T.J.

On Mon, May 15 2023, "T.J. Alumbaugh" <talumbau@google.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having an issue trying to send a proposed spec change for
> discussion to this list. I'm following the instructions here:
>
> https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec#providing-feedback
>
> which seem to be pretty standard and the typical workflow for sending
> git patches. However, my messages bounce with this error:
>
> <virtio-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>: permission denied. Command output:
>Â Â ÂTraceback (most recent call last):Â ÂFile
>Â Â Â"/home/oasis/bin/kmlm_crosspost_issubn", line 14, in <module>Â Â Âimport
>Â Â ÂMySQLdb ImportError: No module named MySQLdb Sorry, only subscribers may
>Â Â Âpost. If you are a subscriber, please forward this message to
>Â Â Âvirtio-comment-owner@lists.oasis-open.org to get your new address included
>Â Â Â(#5.7.2) ERROR: postqmail-local Error #77
>

> I have confirmed that I am a subscriber to this list. This email
> itself will serve as an experiment to determine if the message is
> legitimate (the system believes I am not a subscriber), or if this
> error is spurious and there is some other issue with sending a patch
> with `git send-email`. In the event that this email does get through,
> any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated! Thanks,
>
> -T.J.

Just to make sure it's not something obvious: Have you double checked
that the author in git matches the address you subscribed with? Because
this mail came through, and having the author set to a different address
without realizing it is something that happens a lot.

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf