Subject: Re: proposal: use admin command (and aq) of the device to query config space

On 8/2/2023 12:20 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Tue, Aug 01, 2023 at 07:09:14AM +0000, Parav Pandit wrote:
One line proposal:
Let's use new admin command and admin q for all device types to query device config space for new fields. (always).

Details below.

Query of device capabilities and configuration using DMA interface.
Need:
Currently device configuration space is exposed as read only registers. It is growing rapidly.
Some devices may be even multi-functionality device in coming future such as net + clock + rdma device.
For a PCI transport implementing such ever-growing capabilities, configuration is burdensome as plain registers.
Hence, it is required for the driver to query capabilities and configuration using a DMA interface.

Interface requirements:
1. Maintain backward compatibility for existing defined configuration fields to stay as registers.
This is both too specific and too vague.  I think you mean "device
should be able to optionally support both config access over DMA and support
existing transitional and non-transitional virtio pci drivers".

2. Any new field added must be accessed via DMA interface, regardless of device implementation (hw/sw etc).
Results in single driver code regardless of device implementation.
3. A device must be able to choose, starting from which field driver must query
such configuration via DMA interface. This field offset must be greater than currently defined configuration field.
2 and 3 look like implementation more than like a requirement.
Try to think what your actual requirement is.

4. Any driver to device query operation must not be mandated to be
mediated by the owner device for PCI VFs or SIOV or SF devices. Driver must be able to
communicate query capabilities and configuration fields directly to
the device regardless of device type being PCI PF, VF, SF/SIOV device uniformly.
I don't really know what does it mean to communicate directly with SIOV device.
neither do I know query is and what capabilities are.

5. When having multi-functionality device in future, it is desired to not always
query all the configuration but may be able to query per-functionality configurations.
For example, query only steering capabilities, query only rdma capabilities or query only clock capabilities.
I don't know what query is and what capabilities are. Do you mean
"access part of config space"?

6. The driver should be able to query config/capabilities without
polling for the DMA completion, in other words, the driver should be able to get
notification from the device when DMA command completes.
7. The driver should be able to utilize existing interrupt vector and/or
virtqueue for query and set operation without demanding
additional interrupt vector whenever possible.
additional over what? existing where?

There are multiple options for DMA interface.
Some of these options are listed below that we would like to consider fulfilling above requirements.

Cc: Zhu Lingshan <lingshan.zhu@intel.com>

Zhu Lingshan are you still interested in a transport for SIOV (what was
called transport vq)? Clearly SIOV needs this as part of the transport.
Hi Michael,

Rebasing "transport vq" on admin vq is still in my pipeline, I am currently working on a patch series implementing virtio pci live migration in the spec(carry on Jason and Eugenio's work).
I will post it next week and back to transport vq task then.

For SIOV, I have implemented the interfaces for querying the configurations, for example:
1) Access config space:

247 +\begin{lstlisting}
248 +#define VIRTIO_TRANSPTQ_CTRL_CONFIGÂÂÂ 6
249 +Â #define VIRTIO_TRANSPTQ_CTRL_CONFIG_GETÂÂÂ 0
250 +Â #define VIRTIO_TRANSPTQ_CTRL_CONFIG_SETÂÂÂ 1
251 +
252 +struct virtio_transportq_ctrl_dev_config_get {
253 +ÂÂÂÂÂÂ u32 offset;
254 +ÂÂÂÂÂÂ u32 size;
255 +};
256 +
257 +struct virtio_transportq_ctrl_dev_config_set {
258 +ÂÂÂÂÂÂ u32 offset;
259 +ÂÂÂÂÂÂ u32 size;
260 +ÂÂÂÂÂÂ u8Â data[];
261 +};
262 +\end{lstlisting}

I think we can re-use the GET command for SR-IOV, I am afraid SET would be a side-channel attacking surface for SR-IOV.

2) a specific config, e.g., features:

142 +The features negotiation of managed devices is done by the
143 +following commands:
144 +
145 +\begin{lstlisting}
146 +#define VIRTIO_TRANSPTQ_CTRL_FEATÂÂ 3
147 + #define VIRTIO_TRANSPTQ_CTRL_FEAT_DEVICE_GETÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0
148 + #define VIRTIO_TRANSPTQ_CTRL_FEAT_DRIVER_SETÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 1
149 + #define VIRTIO_TRANSPTQ_CTRL_FEAT_DRIVER_GETÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 2
150 +
151 +struct virtio_transportq_ctrl_dev_features {
152 +ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ u32 features_len;
153 +ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ u32 features[features_len];
154 +};
155 +\end{lstlisting}

still can re-use the GET commands.

Thanks