Subject: Re: Using packed virtqueues in Confidential VMs

On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 10:13:15AM +0000, Reshetova, Elena wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Thank you for following up on this! Please find my comments inline.

Correct.

> Software devices (QEMU,
> > vhost kernel, or vhost-user) usually have full access to guest RAM. They can
> > cause dma_unmap_page() to be invoked with arguments of their choice (except
> > for
> > the first argument) by modifying indirect descriptors.
> >
> > I am not sure if this poses a danger since software devices already have access
> > to guest RAM, but I think this code is risky. It would be safer for the driver
> > to stash away the arguments needed for dma_unmap_page() in memory that is
> > not
> > mapped to the device.
> >
> > Other than that, I didn't find any issues with the packed virtqueue
> > implementation.
>
> Thank you for looking into this! Even if we didnât need the packed queue,
> I am sure other deployments might need it and it would be the best for
> virtio to provide all modes that are secure.

I looked at the split virtqueue layout code and noticed
vring_unmap_one_split_indirect() does the same thing. So packed and
split virtqueues are the same with respect to loading descriptor fields
from memory that devices without an IOMMU may have overwritten.

The impact of letting an attacker choose most of the arguments to
dma_unmap_page() is not clear to me. There is swiotlb state associated
with every mapping. I haven't read the swiotlb code, so I'm not sure how
robust it is against invalid inputs.

Stefan