Subject: Re: Using packed virtqueues in Confidential VMs

On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 10:13:15AM +0000, Reshetova, Elena wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Thank you for following up on this! Please find my comments inline.

However, both with packed and split I don't think speculation barriers
have been added and they are likely to be needed.
I wonder whether your fuzzing included attempts to force spectre like
leaks based on speculation execution.

> The choice of split queue was a natural first step since it is the most straightforward
> to understand (at least it was for us, bare in mind we are not experts in virtio as
> you are) and the fact that there was work already done ([2] and other patches)
> to harden the descriptors for split queue.
>
> [1] https://github.com/intel/tdx-tools
> [2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/virtio?h=v6.6-rc4&id=72b5e8958738aaa453db5149e6ca3bcf416023b9
>
> I remember looking at the packed queue long ago and noticing that at least
> some descriptor fields are under device control and I wasnât sure why the similar
> hardening was not done here as for the split case.

packed has R/W descriptors. This means however that data is copied over
from descriptor and validated before use.

> However, we had many
> issues to handle in past, and since we didnât need the packed queue, we
> never went to investigate this further.
> It is also possible that we simply misunderstood the code at that point.
>

> > I also reviewed Linux's virtio_ring.c to look for implementation issues. One
> > thing I noticed was that detach_buf_packed -> vring_unmap_desc_packed trusts
> > the fields of indirect descriptors that have been mapped to the device:
> >
> >   flags = le16_to_cpu(desc->flags);
> >
> >   dma_unmap_page(vring_dma_dev(vq),
> >                  le64_to_cpu(desc->addr),
> >                  le32_to_cpu(desc->len),
> >                  (flags & VRING_DESC_F_WRITE) ?
> >                  DMA_FROM_DEVICE : DMA_TO_DEVICE);
>

> > This could be problematic if the device is able to modify indirect descriptors.
> > However, the indirect descriptor table is mapped with DMA_TO_DEVICE:
> >
> >   addr = vring_map_single(vq, desc,
> >                           total_sg * sizeof(struct vring_packed_desc),
> >                           DMA_TO_DEVICE);
> >
> > There is no problem when there is an enforcing IOMMU that maps the page with
> > read-only permissions but that's not always the case.
>
> We donât use IOMMU at the moment for the confidential guest, since we donât
> have to (memory is encrypted/protected) and only explicitly shared pages are
> available for the host/devices to modify.
> Do I understand it correctly that in our case the indirect descriptor table will
> end up mapped shared for this mode to work and then there is no protection?

I think this whole table is copied to swiotlb (this is what DMA_TO_DEVICE
AFAIK).