Subject: OASIS interim work process procedure

The following is a copy of the OASIS interim work process
procedure as lately corrected and with the initial membership of
the ACTC specified.

Jon

 From: "Laura Walker" <laura.walker@oasis-open.org>
 To: "Board" <soboard@oasis-open.org>, "chairs" <chairs@lists.oasis-open.org>,
    "Carol Geyer - Direct" <cgeyer7@home.com>,
    "Craig Chevrier (OASIS)" <craig.chevrier@oasis-open.org>,
    "Pam Gennusa" <pam@gennusa.u-net.com>,
    "Scott McGrath" <swmcgrath@earthlink.net>
 Subject: FYI: OASIS Interim Work Process Procedure
 Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:52:57 -0500

 OASIS INTERIM WORK PROCESS PROCEDURE

    Adopted by OASIS
    2000.03.16

 Background
 ----------

 Analysis of OASIS bylaws by the Process Advisory Committee (PAC)
 has led to the finding that voting members of committees must be
 appointed directly or indirectly by the Board of Directors.
 However, the appointment of specific members has two important
 procedural implications.

 1. QUORUM.  A majority of voting members must be present in
    meetings and phone conferences for a committee to conduct
    formal business, and a majority of the entire voting membership
    is required for decisions made by mail vote.  Thus, it is
    necessary to distinguish between participants in TCs who can
    actually commit to attending meetings and phone conferences and
    members who wish only to track the progress of the committee
    and participate in mail discussions.  For this procedural
    reason, only OASIS members who can actually attend meetings
    should be appointed voting members of a TC.

 2. MEMBERSHIP MAINTENANCE.  Under the process implied by the
    bylaws, voting members of committees can be added or removed
    only by resolution of the body that creates them.  The task of
    overseeing membership maintenance in multiple TCs is beyond the
    practical capacity of the OASIS board.

 Action
 ------

 The PAC therefore recommends that the board of directors enact the
 following resolutions, the text of which appears below:

    A. Formation of the Advisory Committee for Technical Committees
       (ACTC)

    B. Standing Order for the Establishment and Conduct of OASIS
       Technical Committees

    C. Procedure for Reinitializing OASIS Technical Committees

 Submitted by Jon Bosak, Chair, OASIS Process Advisory
 Committee

 FORMATION OF THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE FOR TECHNICAL COMMITTEES
 (ACTC)

 The OASIS Advisory Committee for Technical Committees (ACTC) is
 hereby created as an advisory committee of the OASIS Board of
 Directors.

 1. The ACTC is empowered to create and maintain OASIS technical
 committees (TCs) according to standing orders of the OASIS Board
 of Directors.

 2. The ACTC shall initially consist of the following persons:

       Norbert Mikula (ex officio)
       Terry Allen
       Mary Brady
       David Cruikshank
       Norm Walsh
       Eduardo Gutentag

 3. Meetings of the ACTC shall be governed by Robert's Rules of
    Order, as such rules may be revised from time to time, insofar
    as such rules are not inconsistent with or in conflict with
    this order or other orders adopted by the OASIS Board of
    Directors, with the OASIS bylaws, with the OASIS Articles of
    Incorporation, or with provisions of law.

 4. Members shall be added to or removed from the ACTC by
    resolution of the Board as provided by parliamentary authority.

 STANDING ORDER FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT AND CONDUCT OF OASIS
 TECHNICAL COMMITTEES

 OASIS technical committees (TCs) shall be formed and conducted as
 follows.

 1. OASIS members wishing to form a TC shall first request the
    Advisory Committee on Technical Committees (ACTC) to authorize
    the creation of a mailing list and to appoint one or more OASIS
    members by name as discussion leader(s).

 2. Upon creation of the mailing list, the discussion leader(s)
    shall prepare an announcement of the following form and forward
    it to a person designated by the board for publication to the
    OASIS membership at large.

       The membership of OASIS is hereby notified that the OASIS
       Advisory Committee on Technical Committees (ACTC) has
       authorized [name(s) of discussion leader(s)] to institute a
       mail list for the purpose of organizing an OASIS technical
       committee to be called [name of committee].  A statement of
       purpose appears at the end of this message.

       All individual and institutional OASIS members and all
       employees of OASIS member organizations are hereby invited
       to join the new list.  Directions for subscribing to the
       list are given following the statement of purpose.

       Discussions on the list will begin [insert date here; at
       least one week after the notice].  At that time, persons who
       have subscribed to the list will be asked to file statements
       of their ability and desire to engage in the work at a level
       consistent with the operation of an OASIS technical
       committee.  At a date not less than one week following the
       call for affirmations of commitment to the work of the
       proposed committee, a list of those agreeing to the
       conditions of participation will be submitted to the ACTC
       as prospective members of the committee.

       Statement of Purpose

	  [insert statement of purpose here]

       Subscribing to the list

	  [insert directions for subscribing to the list here]

 3. After a period of not less than a week following publication of
    this notice, the discussion leader(s) shall post a notice of
    the following form to the mail list.

       CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: OASIS [name] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

       The OASIS [name of TC] Technical Committee is being formed
       to [purpose of committee goes here].

       [name(s)] have/has agreed to serve as chair(s) of the
       proposed committee.

       The proposed deliverables of the TC are as follows:

	  [description of deliverables goes here]

       In the year following its proposed formation, the TC is
       expected to meet at [host, location, date; host, location,
       date; ... or other language describing meeting plans].

       [OPTIONAL] The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
       [name of sponsoring company or other agency] having agreed
       to provide phone conference services.

       Upon startup, the TC will consist of a set of voting members
       and a set of non-voting observers.  The voting members will
       be those who have been appointed by the ACTC from among
       persons nominating themselves in response to this call.
       Note that voting members must be able to promise attendance
       at meetings in order to meet quorum requirements.
       Therefore, OASIS members wishing to track and comment upon
       the work of the TC in the mailing list but not to attend its
       meetings regularly should subscribe to the mailing list but
       not apply for voting membership.

       Members of this list willing to commit to voting
       participation in the OASIS [name] Technical Committee are
       hereby requested to respond to this list no later than
       [date] with the following statement:

	  I agree with the purpose of the [name] TC as stated
	  above.

	  I understand that OASIS technical committees regularly
	  meet in person or by phone and that participation in the
	  [name] TC will require me to attend most of its meetings.
	  Based on the estimated meeting schedule given above, I
	  certify that I have the means and the interest to attend
	  such meetings and that I intend to do so.

	  I understand that the TC cannot transact business in the
	  absence of a quorum or take action by mail ballot without
	  the active participation of its members and that
	  therefore failure to attend meetings and vote in mail
	  ballots will result in my removal from the committee.  I
	  promise to submit a letter of resignation to the chair or
	  chairs of the committee if in the future I find myself
	  unable to participate actively in its work.

	  [name]
	  [affiliation]
	  [email address]
	  [phone number]

 4. When the time specified in the call for participation has
    elapsed, the discussion leader(s) shall gather together the
    names that have been submitted and send a message of the
    following form to the ACTC.

       REQUEST FOR CREATION OF THE [name] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

       Members of the [name] mail list have proposed to form an
       OASIS technical committee chartered to [purpose of committee
       goes here].

       The proposed deliverables of the TC are as follows:

	  [description of deliverables goes here]

       In the year following its proposed formation, the TC is
       expected to meet at [host, location, date; host, location,
       date; ... or other language describing meeting plans].

       [OPTIONAL] The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
       [name of sponsoring company or other agency] having agreed
       to provide phone conference services.

       The following OASIS members and employees of OASIS member
       organizations have nominated themselves to serve as voting
       members of the TC and have accepted the purpose,
       deliverables, and meeting schedule described above.

	  [name, contact info]
	  [name, contact info]
	  [name, contact info]
	  [...]
	  [include name(s) of proposed chair(s) in the list of names]

       The [proposed] chair(s) of the TC is/are [name(s)].

       As leader/leaders of the [name] list, I/we hereby request
       that the ACTC create the OASIS [name] Technical Committee
       with the members listed above and empower it to fulfill its
       described purpose, including the power to form such
       subcommittees as are provided by parliamentary authority.

	  [name of discussion leader]
	  [affiliation]
	  [email address]
	  [phone number]
	  [... repeat for each discussion leader ...]

 5. If it approves the formation of the proposed TC, the ACTC shall
    pass a resolution of the following form.  Note that as the
    creating authority, the ACTC may make such modifications to the
    details as it deems proper, modifying the language below
    accordingly.

       FORMATION OF THE [name] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

       Be it resolved, that the OASIS [name of TC] be created with
       [name(s)] as its chair(s) and that the OASIS members listed
       in the message copied below be appointed its voting members.

       Be it further resolved, that the [name of TC] be empowered
       to fulfill its purpose stated below, including the power to
       form such subcommittees as are provided by parliamentary
       authority.

       Record of Vote on the Resolution of the ACTC

	  Date: [date goes here]
	  Voting to approve the resolution: [names go here]
	  Voting against the resolution: [names go here]
	  Abstaining:  [names go here]

	  Certified by [name] for the ACTC.

       [If approved as submitted, a copy of the request from the
       discussion leader(s), including background statement and
       list of nominees, is copied in here.]

 6. Upon notification of the TC members regarding their appointment
    by the TC, the ACTC shall send a message of the following form
    to the OASIS board requesting the addition of the TC chair (or
    one of the TC chairs) to the ACTC.

       REQUEST TO ADD [name] TO THE ACTC

       Having approved the formation of the [name] TC as described
       in the resolution below, the OASIS Advisory Committee on
       Technical Committees hereby requests the addition of [name]
       to the membership of the ACTC.

       [Copy of resolution creating the TC goes here.]

 7. Meetings of the TC shall be governed by Robert's Rules of
    Order, as such rules may be revised from time to time, insofar
    as such rules are not inconsistent with or in conflict with
    this order or other orders adopted by the OASIS Board of
    Directors, with the OASIS bylaws, with the OASIS Articles of
    Incorporation, or with provisions of law.

 8. Members may be added to or removed from the TC by resolution of
    the ACTC as provided by parliamentary authority.  The following
    form is provided as an aid to OASIS members wishing to apply
    for membership to an established TC.

       REQUEST FOR APPOINTMENT TO THE [name] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

	  I, [name], hereby request appointment to the OASIS [name]
	  TC.

	  I understand that OASIS technical committees regularly
	  meet in person or by phone and that participation in the
	  [name] TC will require me to attend most of its meetings.
	  I have consulted with the chair(s) of the TC and agree
	  with its stated purpose.  Based on the estimated meeting
	  schedule of the TC, I certify that I have the means and
	  the interest to attend its meetings and that I intend to
	  do so.

	  I understand that the TC cannot transact business in the
	  absence of a quorum or take action by mail ballot without
	  the active participation of its members and that
	  therefore failure to attend meetings and vote in mail
	  ballots will result in my removal from the committee.  I
	  promise to submit a letter of resignation to the chair or
	  chairs of the committee if in the future I find myself
	  unable to participate actively in its work.

	  [name]
	  [affiliation]
	  [email address]
	  [phone number]

 appointment according to the process detailed below.

 1. Each TC chair shall create a short description of the purpose
    of the TC.

 2. The TC chair shall also create an estimated schedule of TC
    meetings for the coming year.

 3. The chair shall send a message to the TC mailing list having
    the following form.

       REINITIALIZING THE [name] TC

       In order to ensure a sound OASIS technical committee process
       in accordance with the OASIS bylaws, the OASIS Board of
       Directors has created an Advisory Committee on Technical
       Committees.  Consisting of the chairs of the TCs, the ACTC
       is empowered to create OASIS technical committees through
       formal appointment of members.

       However, the appointment of specific members with voting
       rights in each TC has the procedural implication that a
       majority of those members must be present in meetings and
       phone conferences for a TC to conduct formal business, and a
       majority of the appointed members is required for decisions
       made by mail vote.  Thus, it is necessary to distinguish
       between the participants in each TC who can actually commit
       to attending meetings and phone conferences and members who
       wish only to track the progress of the TC and participate in
       mail discussions.  For this procedural reason, only OASIS
       members who can actually attend meetings can be appointed
       voting members of a TC.

       Please note that this formal distinction does not change the
       current composition of this mail list.  The primary
       difference is that a subset of this list will now be able to
       pass formal resolutions on behalf of the group in accordance
       with the OASIS bylaws.

       In order to be considered for designation as a voting member
       of this TC, you need to read the following description of
       our estimated schedule and deliverables and then decide
       whether to respond with a request to be formally appointed.
       Please have your response, if any, back to me by [date].  I
       will submit a list of nominees to the ACTC shortly
       thereafter.

	  [name of chair]
	  [affiliation]
	  [email address]
	  [phone number]

       CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: OASIS [name] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

       The OASIS [name of TC] Technical Committee exists to
       [purpose of committee goes here].

       [name(s)] is/are chair(s) of the TC.

       The proposed deliverables of the TC are as follows:

	  [description of deliverables goes here]

       Over the next year, the TC is expected to meet at [host,
       location, date; host, location, date; ... or other language
       describing meeting plans].

       [OPTIONAL] The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
       [name of sponsoring company or other agency] having agreed
       to provide phone conference services.

       Upon reinitialization, the TC will consist of a set of
       voting members and a set of non-voting observers.  The
       voting members will be those who have been appointed by the
       ACTC from among persons nominating themselves in response to
       this call.  Note that voting members must be able to promise
       attendance at meetings in order to meet quorum requirements.
       Therefore, OASIS members wishing to track and comment upon
       the work of the TC in the mailing list but not to attend its
       meetings regularly should simply remain on this mailing list
[...]

 4. When the specified deadline has passed, the chair shall gather
    together the names that have been submitted and send a message
    of the following form to the ACTC.

       REQUEST FOR REINITIALIZATION OF THE [name] TECHNICAL
       COMMITTEE

       The purpose of the [name] TC is to [purpose of committee
       goes here].

       The planned deliverables of the TC are as follows:

	  [description of deliverables goes here]

       deliverables of the TC are as follows:

	  [description of deliverables goes here]

       In the year following its proposed formation, the TC is
       expected to meet at [host, location, date; host, location,
       date; ... or other language describing meeting plans].

       [OPTIONAL] The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
       [name of sponsoring company or other agency] having agreed
       to provide phone conference services.

       The following OASIS members and employees of OASIS member
       organizations have nominated themselves to serve as voting
       members of the TC and have accepted the purpose,
       deliverables, and meeting schedule described above.

	  [name, contact info]
	  [name, contact info]
	  [name, contact info]
	  [...]
	  [include name(s) of proposed chair(s) in the list of names]

       The chair(s) of the TC is/are [name(s)].

       As chair of the [name] TC, I hereby request that the ACTC
       formally appoint the OASIS [name] Technical Committee with
       the members listed above and empower it to fulfill its
       purpose, including the power to form such subcommittees as
       are provided by parliamentary authority.

	  [name of chair]
	  [affiliation]
	  [email address]
	  [phone number]

 5. The ACTC shall pass a resolution of the following form.  Note
    that as the creating authority, the ACTC may make such
    modifications to the details as it deems proper, modifying the
    language below accordingly.

       REINITIALIZATION OF THE [name] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

       Be it resolved, that the OASIS [name of TC] be reinitialized
       with [name] as its chair and that the OASIS members listed

	  Date: [date goes here]
	  Voting to approve the resolution: [names go here]
	  Voting against the resolution: [names go here]
	  Abstaining:  [names go here]

	  Certified by [name] for the ACTC.

       [If approved as submitted, a copy of the request from the
       discussion leader(s), including background statement and
       list of nominees, is copied in here.]

 6. Upon notification of the TC members regarding their formal
    appointment by the TC, the ACTC shall send a message of the
    following form to the OASIS board.

       FORMATION OF THE [name] TC

       The ACTC has approved the formation of the [name] TC as described
       in the resolution below.