Subject: Re: How a TC can keep folks up to date

[dalapeyre@mulberrytech.com:]

| 1) Agreed: that formal minutes (as most of us know from doing
| them) take almost real-time of the meeting to write.  That is a
| burden most committees can't/won't handle.
|
| 2) We probably cannot legislate anything to committees about how
| to go about bringing a person up to speed.  But I still feel we
| should try to steer if not to legislate, maybe suggest
| alternatives, provide examples, ???.

While I agree that well-run committees will do more than just
record decisions and emit working drafts, I can't think of
anything else that I would require them to do, so we're talking
about advice, as Debbie makes clear.

Guides to effective committee work are, of course, already widely
available, so the only thing that I can think of as a real help
here would be a guide to conducting standards work, and in
particular a guide to conducting the design and standardization of
XML specifications.  Tommie and Debbie are undoubtedly among the
world's leading experts on this subject, so if they feel like
doing this, I'm all for it.  But if it were me and I had such a
thing in hand, I would go looking for a book publisher instead...

Jon