Subject: PAC: Questions about CS 3-5

To: workprocess@lists.oasis-open.org

Here are the questions I have about CS 3-5.

   CS 3. Individuals vs. organizations

	 I think that the voting members of TCs should be the
	 individuals doing the work.  I believe that it's
	 impossible to completely eliminate stacking, and that the
	 best we can do is to make stacking painful and obvious.
	 I don't see how we can use a delegate system and still
	 include individual members.  Does any one disagree with
	 this or see a better way?

   CS 4. Voters vs. observers

	 Robert's is pretty clear about the right of a society to
	 exclude nonmembers from its deliberations.  Thus RRONR9
	 (p. 639):

	    Nonmembers, on the other hand -- or a particular
	    nonmember or group of nonmembers -- can be excluded at
	    any time from part or all of a meeting of a society,
	    or from all of its meetings.

	 The question for us seems to be whether an OASIS TC can
	 go into an executive F2F session that excludes observers
	 who are OASIS members or members/employees of OASIS
	 member organizations.  Under default Robert's, they can.
	 We are already agreed (I think) that for logistical
	 reasons, phone conferences have to be limited to voting
	 members and invited guests.  Shall we limit the default
	 right of a TC to exclude OASIS members from its F2F
	 meetings?

	 If we stipulate that any OASIS member (&c.) can attend
	 any F2F TC meeting, how do we prevent some deranged
	 individual from paying $250 a year for the right to bring
	 a TC to a standstill by behaving unbearably?

   CS 5. Public vs. private

	 I think that all OASIS TC mail lists should be open to
	 public inspection.  Obviously this does not apply to
	 administrative matters, but I don't believe that those
	 are the business of TCs, anyway.  Public exposure of the
	 decisions taken at meetings seems to me to be the surest
	 protection against antitrust problems and general
	 paranoia.  Does anyone disagree with this?

Jon