Subject: Re: PAC: Schedule and AIs for this cycle

[Robin Cover:]

| Why "business days"?  Suppose it's Fri-Sat-Sun?  (viz., are
| weekend days "business days"?)

No, they're not -- and that's the point.  I think I picked up the
phrase "business days" from Robert's.  My first impulse was to
replace it with something more precise: weekdays.  But then I
thought, No, what about holidays.  But the definition of "holiday"
is going to be different depending on where you are... So the more
I thought about it, the more I realized (a) that "business days"
is precisely the legal phrase for the concept we want, and (b)
that its slight ambiguity (or shall we say, context-sensitivity)
is necessary to accommodate cultural differences.

Oddly, the term "business day" is not defined in any of my large
dictionaries, but having just been through several months of
househunting during which I've plowed through multiple sets of
real estate contracts, I can testify that the concept of a
"business day" is quite well established.

| "immediate succession"  -  What if a TC meets Fri, Sun, and
| Tues of a conference week?

Then you fall through to the considerably more complicated rules
governing the meaning of a "session" in Robert's.  The language
I'm suggesting merely makes explicit the simple rule governing the
easy case: if the meeting adjourns to the business day immediately
following, you're still in the same session.  The case where other
business days intervene is much harder, but it's all covered in
Robert's.

|   to the chair of the TC at least one week prior to the first
|    session at which prospective membership is requested.
|
| Hmmmm....
| I think this is grammatically required to mean "session membership"
| -- which probably isn't what is intended.  I think you're trying
| to address beginning point of prospective membership AND
| (non-participant) observer rights upon initiation of perspective
| member status.

I probably should have said "for which prospective membership is
requested," but you're right, this is awkward.

| Maybe a sequence of shorter sentences:
|
|    Any OASIS member or member/employee of an OASIS member
|    organization can become a prospective member of an existing
|    OASIS TC by sending written notice of intention to participate
|    to the chair of the TC.  A prospective member may attend
|    face-to-face meetings as an observer and may attend phone
|    meetings as an observer at the discretion of the chair.
|
|    If an application for prospective membership is requested at
|    least one week prior to the next TC meeting/session, that
|    session counts as the first 'qualifying' session for the
|    prospective member...

Yes.  Or something like that.  I'll rework this.

| Every member of an OASIS TC is entitled to one leave of absence
|    per calendar year during which he or she is exempted from the
|
| Perhaps a reading comma:  per calendar year, during which

Then the "which" would start pointing to the year rather than the
leave of absence.  The sentence should be rewritten.  How about:

   Every member of an OASIS TC is entitled to one leave of absence
   per calendar year.  During a leave of absence, a member is
   exempted from the ...

Jon