Subject: Re: PAC: Schedule and AIs for this cycle

[gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com:]

| Does committee membership require voting membership (i.e. are there
| non-voting members of the committee)?  Are all non-voters considered
| outsiders?  Does OASIS membership distinguish outsiders (observers?)?

The only membership is voting membership, but I sometimes attach
"voting" to "membership" in order to make this absolutely clear in
some contexts.  While there are no nonvoting members of a
committee, there *are* possibly active and possibly very
influential nonvoting members of the committee's mailing list.

| Does maillist participation (posting) require voting committee
| membership, non-voting committee membership, OASIS membership, or
| is it public?

It requires OASIS membership only.

| The maintenance of the maillist I assume requires posters to be
| registered by someone in the committee so as to not accept
| postings from just anyone ...  but what if they ask to be able to
| post?

OASIS mailing lists are open to all OASIS members and
members/employees of OASIS organizations simply upon s*bscription
to the list (gotta watch that majordomo).  The language I've
suggested assumes that this will continue to be our policy, but
perhaps this better be stated explicitly.

I consider the ability of any OASIS member to join and contribute
to any TC mailing list to be an essential feature of the process.
This is what allows people to participate in the design of
standards and to exercise oversight with regard to possible
conflicts without committing to a difficult meeting schedule.

Note that TCs will in reality consist of three groups of people: a
very large group (consisting of every interested person in the
world) that can watch the TC work and comment on that work in
public forums; a smaller group of OASIS members who are privileged
to contribute to discussions on the TC mail list; and a core group
of TC members who can participate in phone conferences and are
authorized to vote on formal resolutions.

Jon