Subject: comments on PAC draft

Just got to it ...

Jon wrote:

| 3. I have replaced "session" with "meeting" throughout.  We need
|    to review this.  There seems to be a conflict here between
|    "meeting" as that term is generally understood in our community
|    and "meeting" as defined by Robert's, but I can't tell whether
|    this conflict is apparent or real.

I am not aware of such a conflict; it seems to me that we just
don't have R's notion of session.

| 5. Having discovered that an entire (short) article of the bylaws
|    is devoted to a definition of "fiscal year," I have used that
|    term throughout in place of "calendar year."

Sigh.  I didn't bring my copy of the bylaws.  What is OASIS's
fiscal year?  And don't we want to avoid a dependency, should
OASIS change the fiscal year?

| 6. "30 days" has been substituted for "one month," "seven days"
|    for "one week," "15 days" for "two weeks," "30 days" for "four
|    weeks," and "45 days" for "six weeks" throughout.

I'm sure we could have a lot of fun with this, but I'll forbear.

| ==================================================================
|
| Article 14.  Technical Committees
|
| 1. Definitions
|
|    The following definitions shall apply within the scope of this
|    article.
|
|       Individual OASIS member -- one of a class of individuals
|       that includes persons holding individual memberships in the
|       corporation, employees of organizational members of the
|       corporation, members of organizations to which OASIS has
|       extended the benefits of joint membership, and such other
|       persons as may be designated by the board of directors.

Urp (or perhaps, "ERP").  We have a class of persons holding individual
memberships, who are best described as individual members.  Employees
of org members are NOT such persons.  This usage invites confusion.
I'll suggest "member individuals", "member persons"
("memberpersons"?), and "Oasans".  See below at * for a proper
usage of "individual member" with which this usage seems to
conflict.

|       Technical Committee (TC) -- a group of individual OASIS
|       members formed and conducted according to the provisions of
|       this article.

why "conducted"?  what does that add to "formed"?

|       Joint Committee (JC) -- a TC all of whose members are also
|       members of at least one liaison subcommittee appointed for
|       the purpose of participating in the JC.

Insufficient - various TCs could meet that definition.  The
definition should define the JC (I missed that discussion so
I won't essay a definition).

|       Liaison subcommittee -- a subcommittee of a TC formed to
|       provide one or more members of a JC.

That's the spirit.  So a JC is a committee formed of such
individuals and with a certain purpose.

|       Meeting -- includes meetings conducted by telephone or as
|       well as meetings conducted in person.  A meeting may extend
|       over several consecutive business days.  Telephone meetings
|       may or may not include a video component.

It's improper to define a term in terms of itself.  Substitute
"gathering"?  I don't understand the restriction to consecutive
days (it doesn't exist in R, does it?), and the last sentence is
unnecessary.  ("Meetings conducted in person may include food.")

|       Mail -- includes electronic mail as well as postal mail.
|
|       Fiscal quarters -- consecutive periods of three months each
|       such that the beginning of the first calendar quarter in
|       each year coincides with the beginning of the fiscal year as
|       defined in Article 8 of these Bylaws.

Why do we have to align calendar and fiscal quarters?  The good old
calendar is sufficient.

|       Business day -- excludes weekends and such holidays as may
|       be designated by the board of directors. [THIS ISSUE IS
|       STILL UNDER DISCUSSION.]  "Day" without qualification means
|       calendar day.
|
|       OASIS administration -- persons appointed by the board of
|       directors to represent OASIS in administrative matters
|       relating to TCs.

Ah.  Should then be "OASIS TC administration"; the bylaws should
be able to talk about OASIS administration in other spheres.

| 2. TC Discussion Lists
|
|    Any group of at least three individual OASIS members shall be
|    authorized to begin a discussion list for the purpose of
|    forming a TC by submitting to OASIS administration the
|    following items:
|
|     - The name of the discussion list, which shall not be the same
|       as the name of the list in which the TC itself will operate
|       once formed.

under which.

|     - A preliminary statement of scope for the TC that the list is
|       intended to form.
|
|     - The names, electronic mail addresses, and membership
|       affiliations of the individual OASIS members proposing to
|       create the discussion list.
|
|     - The name of the discussion list leader.
|
|    No later than 15 days following the submission, OASIS shall

I can't resist.  Why not 14 days, commonly known as two weeks?
It's certainly easier to keep straight in the head.

|    provide these materials to the membership with a call for
|    participation in a discussion list whose purpose is to form the
|    TC described in the application.  Discussion of TC formation

I am already getting spammed by OASIS member orgs; why does my
email need to go to the entire membership (unless I'm the discussion
list leader)?

|    shall begin on the list no sooner than seven days after the
|    announcement.  More than one TC can be formed from a discussion
|    list.  A list established to discuss the formation of a TC
|    under provisions of this section shall automatically go out of
|    existence 90 days after the call for participation.
|
| 3. TC Formation
|
|    Any group of at least three individual OASIS members shall be
|    authorized to begin a TC by submitting to OASIS administration
|    the following items, written in English and provided in
|    electronic form as plain text:
|
|     - Name of the TC.

proposed name.

> [...]
|    lists.
|
| 4. First Meeting of a TC
|
|    The first meeting of a TC shall occur no less than 30 days
|    after the announcement in the case of a telephone meeting and
|    no less than 45 days after the announcement in the case of a
|    face-to-face meeting.  Persons intending to participate in the
|    first meeting must register to attend no later than 15 days
|    prior to the event by notifying the person named as chair of
|    the new TC of their intention to attend the meeting.  Every
|    individual OASIS member present at the first meeting of a TC
|    shall be initially a voting member of the TC.
|
|    The first meeting of a TC must occur at the place and time and
|    in the manner described in the announcement.  Any initial
|    meeting whose time or location is changed and any initial phone
|    meeting that fails to grant access to every individual OASIS
|    member previously registering a desire to participate shall be
|    potentially invalid and subject to appeal as provided in the
|    section of this article titled "Appeals."  [this subsumes
|    somewhat different language decided on earlier]
|
| 5. TC Membership
|
|    An individual OASIS member shall become a prospective member
|    of an existing TC by sending written notice of intention to
|    participate to the chair of the TC.  Prospective membership
|    shall begin seven days after this notice is received.  A
|    prospective member may attend face-to-face meetings as an
|    observer.  A prospective member may attend phone meetings as an
|    observer at the discretion of the chair.
|
|    A prospective member of a TC shall become a voting member of
|    the TC immediately following the close of the third TC meeting
|    held during the period of prospective membership or after 60
|    days have elapsed following formal application to join the TC,
|    whichever comes first.
|
|    A transferred individual membership shall not automatically
|    confer TC membership upon the transferee.
|
| 6. Termination of TC Membership
|
|    Except as provided in the section of this article titled
|    "Leaves of Absence," membership in an OASIS TC shall be
|    terminated under the following conditions.
|
|    [In the following two paragraphs, I have substituted "warned by
|    mail" for "warned in writing" to make use of the definition of
|    "mail" above.]
|
|    a. A member shall be warned by mail upon failure to attend
|       two out of every three successive meetings of the TC.
|       Membership shall be terminated if the member fails to attend
|       the next meeting following transmittal of the warning.
|
|    b. A member shall be warned by mail upon failure to return
|       80 percent of all mail ballots closing during any 90-day
|       period.  Membership shall be terminated if the member fails
|       to return 80 percent of all mail ballots closing during the
|       90 days following transmittal of the warning.
|
|    Termination of membership in an OASIS TC shall automatically
|    end voting membership in any subcommittee directly or

We need to provide for a member to resign, also.  And we probably
need to deal with the case (which occurred recently in regrep)
in which no quorum can be found for several successive meetings.

| 7. Leaves of Absence
|
|    Every member of an OASIS TC shall be entitled to at least one
|    leave of absence per fiscal year.  During a leave of absence, a
|    member shall be exempt from the participation criteria
|    specified in the section of this article titled "Termination of
|    TC Membership."  A first leave of absence in any fiscal year
|    shall be obtained automatically upon application to the chair
|    of the TC.
|
|    A TC member who has already been granted a leave of absence
|    during a fiscal year may apply for a maximum of one additional
|    leave of absence during the same year, but a second leave of
|    absence in a fiscal year shall be granted only upon formal
|    resolution of the TC.
|
|    A member of a TC who has been granted a leave of absence shall
|    cease to be a member of the TC and all of its subcommittees for
|    the duration of the leave.  However, membership in the TC and
|    membership in any still-existing subcommittee of the TC of
|    which the same person was a member at the beginning of the
|    leave shall resume when the leave ends.

I would be more comfortable with saying the the member shall not
count toward a quorum nor be able to vote; OASIS might later add
language about privileges of membership that would depend
unnecessarily on this para (e.g., right to receive certain
documents).

|    The length of a leave of absence shall be specified in advance
|    and shall not exceed 45 days.  A leave of absence shall begin
|    no earlier than seven days after the date upon which the
|    request was submitted to the chair of the TC and shall end on
|    the date specified, or at the beginning of the first TC meeting
|    or subcommittee meeting attended after the leave begins, or
|    upon transmittal of the first mail ballot returned after the
|    leave begins, whichever comes first.  Time allocated for a
|    leave of absence but not used due to early resumption of
|    membership cannot be carried over into another leave.
|
| 8. TC Chairs
|
|    A TC chair may be removed by a vote of 2/3 of all the members
|    of the TC.

This is new to me and contra R, requiring much new language.  Not
that I object to the general purpose.

|    Vacancies in chairing a TC shall be filled by election from the
|    membership of the TC.

"Vacancies in chairing" should turn into a reference to the chair.

What is the procedure for electing a new chairman?  by what margin?
of all members of the TC or only those attending?  is the first
order of business to elect a chairman pro tem?  must there then
be a period of notice to the full membership of the TC?

What happens if the TC cannot agree on a chairman pro tem?  who
is responsible to notifying OASIS TC administration of that
occurrence?

|    The same provisions regarding leaves of absence shall apply to
|    the chair of a TC as to the other members of a TC, except the
|    chair must notify both OASIS administration and the TC at least
|    30 days prior to any non-emergency leave of absence.
|
| 9. TC Visibility
|
|    [Pulling this section together was a lot harder than I thought.
|    Please read it carefully.]
|
|    All TC electronic mail lists shall be archived for the duration
|    of the corporation, and all TC mail archives shall be publicly
|    visible.  Each TC shall be provided upon formation with a
|    general list, an announcement list, and a comment list.
|
|    Every individual OASIS member shall be able to subscribe to and post to
|    the general mailing list of any TC.  The minutes of each TC
|    meeting shall be published to that TC's general list.

Um, no.  The TC needs a list for its own debate, which should not
be postable-to by everyone.

|    Every individual OASIS member shall be able to subscribe to the
|    announcement list of a TC, but only the TC chair, or TC
|    secretary if such has been elected, shall be able to post to
|    it.  To the announcement list of each TC shall be posted
|    notifications of every important change in the status of that
|    TC, such changes to include but not be limited to the

and coups against the chairman ...  "status" needs more definition.
changes in membership?

|    following: TC formation; revision of purpose, deliverables, or
|    meeting schedule; publication of working drafts; publication of
|    committee specifications; calls for implementation; submission
|    of a specification as a proposed OASIS standard; approval or
|    rejection of a proposed standard; start or end of participation
|    in a joint committee; and closure of the TC.
|
|    The comment list of a TC shall be open to contributions from
|    every individual OASIS member, and may also be enabled to accept
comments
|    from other groups or from the public at large by resolution of
|    the TC.  TCs shall not be required to respond to comments.
|    [Can peoople receive mail from a comment list?  If so, what's
|    to prevent it from becoming another general discussion list?]

It should be the only list to which nonmembers of the TC can post.

| 10. TC Procedure
|
|    The operation of TCs shall be governed by Robert's Rules of
|    Order, as such rules may be revised from time to time, insofar
|    as such rules are not inconsistent with or in conflict with
|    these Bylaws, with the Articles of Incorporation of this
|    corporation, or with provisions of law.
|
|    Formal actions of TCs shall be governed by the same rules
|    regardless of the language in which the work is taking place.

I think we need to say that the bylaws override R, to make it
plainer.

| 11. TC Meetings
|
|    Any TC that fails to conduct at least one legal meeting during
|    a fiscal year shall cease to exist at the beginning of the
|    fiscal year immediately following.

"legal" has no force.

| 12. TC Revision
|
|    A TC can revise its purpose, deliverables, or meeting schedule
|    by formal resolution; such changes shall be reported on the

"formal resolution" means "vote"?

I object to revision of purpose.  A TC that doesn't want to do
what it was set up to do should cease to persist, and the folks
involved should start all over again.

|    TC's announcement list, and any revisable publicly visible
|    description (e.g., Web page) promulgated by the TC shall be
|    updated to reflect such changes.
|
| 13. TC Voting
|
|    Every member of a TC has a single vote.  Organizations do not vote
|    in TCs.  Proxies shall not be allowed in TC voting.
|
|    The final approval of a committee specification shall require
|    at least 2/3 of the total membership of a TC voting to approve
|    and no more than 1/4 voting to disapprove.
|
|    [The following is currently under discussion (MT 10); this
|    draft language is just a placeholder.]
|
|    | A TC may adopt a standing rule authorizing its chair to draft
|    | resolutions, to propose such drafts to the members of the TC
|    | for discussion, to put such resolutions to the members of the
|    | TC for a vote by mail when a majority seem to be agreed, and to
|    | conduct votes on such resolutions by mail.
|    |
|    | The period allowed for voting by mail shall be five days,
|    | unless the TC specifies a different voting period in the
|    | resolution authorizing the vote or in standing rules governing
|    | mail ballots.
|
| 14. TC Coordination
|
|    Coordination among TCs shall take place through the action of
|    voluntary joint committees (JCs).

"voluntary" sounds odd.  This is all too baroque and unfinished.
I recommend leaving it out for now until it can be cooked or
fed into the disposall; there's nothing to say TCs can't coordinate
informally.

|    The formation of a JC shall begin with the preparation of a JC
|    proposal.  A JC proposal must meet all of the criteria for a TC
|    proposal, and it must in addition contain

We need to say who writes the proposal.  I'm thinking of hostile
action of the sort that's happening in EBXML.

|     - The date and time of the first meeting of the JC, such date
|       to be no less than 45 days and no more than one year from
|       the date of submission.

And not conflicting with a TC meeting already scheduled?

|     - A list of all the TCs that will cooperate in the work of the
|       JC.

that have agreed to ... ?  how do they agree?  must they vote on it?

|     - The name of at least one member from each of those TCs who
|       is committed to the purpose and meeting schedule of the JC.

and who has been approved for the purpose by the TC?  should
there be an upper limit to prevent packing of the JC?

|       No individual named in the proposal shall be allowed to
|       represent more than one TC in meeting this requirement.

and must represent the TC from which he was named ...

|    Within 14 days of its submission, OASIS administration shall
|    convey the proposal to the chairs of all the TCs named in the
|    proposal and shall in addition copy the proposal to the
|    announcement lists of those TCs.  Each of the TCs shall then
|    have until 30 days before the date set in the proposal for the
|    first JC meeting to appoint a liaison subcommittee, the members

do they vote on the membership of the liason sc?

|    of which are thereby empowered to participate in the JC
|    described in the proposal.  The appointment of liaison
|    subcommittees shall be governed by the same rules that apply to
|    the appointment of ordinary TC subcommittees.  [Is the last
|    sentence necessary?]

Unless you have rules other than R (which is that the chair
appoints, I think but amn't sure), it would be better to leave
it out.  But this is all seeming subversive to the authority of
the committees themselves.

|    Upon the appointment of liaison subcommittees by all of the TCs
|    named in the proposal, OASIS shall create a mailing list for
|    the new JC and shall announce its formation to the membership,

shall appoint it and announce?

|    but for informational purposes only and not as a call for
|    participation.

And if a TC doesn't appoint a lsc, does that torpedo the process
or does it go ahead without that TC?

|    The voting members of a newly created JC shall be those OASIS
|    members who (a) have been appointed to a liaison subcommittee
|    created for this purpose by one of the TCs cooperating in the
|    JC, (b) individually register their intention to attend the
|    first meeting of the JC by sending mail no later than 14 days
|    preceding the meeting to the chair of the JC, and (c) attend
|    the first meeting of the JC.

And if some of them don't (b), then what?

|    The first meeting of a JC shall not be called to order until at
|    least one member from each liaison subcommittee appointed to
|    participate in the JC is present at the meeting.  If this

oh come on.  Where else do we require such rigid attendance?
how is this consonant with R?

|    requirement is not met by the end of the time scheduled for the
|    first meeting, then the JC shall cease to exist, and OASIS
|    administration shall close its mailing list.  No person shall
|    be counted as representing more than one TC for purposes of
|    this requirement.
|
|    Membership in a JC after its first meeting shall be governed by
|    the same rules governing membership in a TC, with the added
|    requirement that any prospective member of a JC must first be a
|    member of a liaison subcommittee appointed for this purpose by
|    one of the cooperating TCs.

Why should a TC not be able to substitute representatives without
them having to attend several meetings first?

|    Except as provided in this section, all of the provisions for
|    meetings, membership, termination of membership, and leaves of
|    absence that apply to members of TCs shall apply equally to
|    JCs, with the added requirement that warnings of termination of
|    membership shall be copied to the chairs of TCs contributing a
|    member to the JC as well as to the affected member.
|
|    The membership of a person in a JC shall terminate if that
|    person resigns from the JC, fails to meet the generic
|    participation requirements of JCs and TCs, or ceases to be a
|    member of any of the liaison subcommittees participating in the
|    JC.

I stopped critiquing this section here.

|    If termination of membership in a JC causes a still existing
|    TC's contribution of voting members to that JC to fall to zero,
|    the chair of the JC shall, within 14 days following the
|    termination of membership, notify OASIS and the chair of the
|    formerly participating TC that the TC is in breach of its
|    obligation to contribute to the work of the JC.  The TC shall
|    have 90 days following this notice to appoint a new liaison
|    subcommittee, whose members shall become prospective members of
|    the JC.  If none of those prospective members fulfills the
|    requirements for participation in the JC, the attempt to create
|    a liaison subcommittee shall be declared a failure.
|
|    If a still-existing TC in breach of its obligation to
|    contribute to a JC fails to appoint a liaison subcommittee
|    within the time stated, then all activities and mailing lists
|    of that JC shall cease until its successor, if any, can be
|    organized according to the provisions for starting a JC.
|
|    If one or more TCs participating in a JC cease to exist but
|    more than one TC remains, the chair of the JC shall so inform
|    OASIS administration, and the remaining TCs after notice from
|    OASIS administration shall have 30 days thereafter to adopt a
|    joint resolution agreeing to carry on the work of the JC
|    without requalifying its members.  If they fail to adopt such a
|    resolution, the JC shall cease to exist.
|
|    A TC shall have no obligation to abide by any decision arrived
|    at in a JC to which it contributes membership.  The business of
|    a JC to which a TC contributes membership shall be imparted to
|    the TC through reports from the chair of its liaison
|    subcommittee.  Such reports shall have the same force and shall
|    be made, received, and acted upon in the same manner as reports
|    from any other subcommittee of the TC.
|
|    A TC shall be added to or removed from the set of TCs
|    contributing to a JC only upon joint resolution of all of the
|    participating TCs.
|
| 15. Appeals
|
|    [This is all new language; the only thing we approved earlier
|    was: "OASIS shall be responsible for certifying compliance with
|    procedural and technical criteria."  The language proposed here
|    uses some bits and pieces loosely adapted from NCITS
|    procedures.]
|
|    Any group of three or more individual OASIS members who believe that an

A group of one should suffice.

|    action taken or not taken is in violation of the procedures set

an action not taken cannot be in violation.  "an action taken is
in violation, or that a required action has not been taken"

|    forth in these Bylaws or specified by the board of directors of
|    the corporation may appeal such action or inaction to OASIS
|    administration.  Appellants shall file a formal complaint
|    within thirty days of the action being appealed or at any time

"formal" means what, here?  written?

|    with respect to an inaction.

why not 30 days, too, wrt an inaction?

|  The complaint shall state the
|    nature of the objection(s),

why plural?  the preceding language wasn't.

|  including any direct and material
|    adverse effects upon the appellants; the section(s) of these
|    Bylaws or of the board resolution(s) at issue; the actions or
|    inactions at issue; and the specific remedial action(s) that

actions or inactions should come first in the list.

|    would satisfy the appellants' concerns.  Previous efforts to
|    resolve the objection(s) and the outcome of each shall be
|    noted.
|
|    Within 30 days of receipt of the complaint, OASIS
|    administration shall respond to the appellants, addressing each
|    allegation of fact in the complaint to the extent of the
|    administration's knowledge.

That would seem to be an out for a clueless administration; how
about striking that last clause.

|  If the appellants and the
|    administration are unable to resolve the complaint informally
|    within 15 days following the response, the administration shall
|    schedule a formal hearing before the OASIS board of directors
|    at the next regular board meeting.

I suggest that every use of "formal" and "informal" be scrutinized;
these words don't seem to have particular force.

|    In a hearing before the board, appellants shall have the burden
|    of demonstrating adverse effects, improper action or inaction,
|    and the efficacy of the requested remedial action.  The board
|    shall render its decision within 30 days.  The decision of the
|    board shall be final.
|
|    The board shall have the authority to order such remedial
|    action as may be necessary to remedy a complaint brought under
|    this procedure and found to be valid.

Okay now, shall a complaint freeze the progress of a spec toward
a standard?  there's a lag time here of 75 days ...

| 16. Application to Existing TCs
|
|    OASIS TCs created previous to the adoption of this article
|    shall become TCs as defined herein upon adoption of this

No, they already are TCs, they can't now become them.  "This
article applies to TCs established before adoption of this
article."

|    article, and their members at the time this article is adopted
|    shall become members of their respective TCs as if each TC had
|    been created according to the provisions of this article.
|    Advisory committees created previously to authorize such TCs
|    shall cease to exist upon adoption of this article.
|

| ==================================================================
|
| Article 15. Standards
|
| 1. Definitions
|
|    The definitions given in Article 14 Section 1 shall apply
|    within this article.

I hope any definition anywhere in the bylaws applies passim.

| 2. Standards Process
|
|    A technical committee (TC) as defined in Article 14 of these
|    bylaws that has approved and published a committee
|    specification may simultaneously or at some later time
|    recommend that the specification be made an OASIS standard.
|    Upon resolution of the TC to move the specification forward,
|    its chair shall submit the following items to OASIS:
|
|       a. A formal specification that is a valid member of its
| 	 type.

Here's "formal" again.  Read in sequence, it would make sense to
say, "that specification, which must be a valid ..."

|       b. Appropriate documentation for the specification, written
| 	 in the language of reference.

"language of reference" isn't previously defined.  Must it be
the language in which the TC agreed to work?  Why do we care
what language the documentation is in?  (seriously!)

|       c. A clear English-language summary of the specification.
|
|       d. Certification by at least three OASIS member
| 	 organizations that they are successfully using the
| 	 specification.
|
|       e. An account of votes and comments received in any earlier
| 	 attempts to standardize substantially the same
| 	 specification, together with the originating TC's
| 	 response to each comment.

If that TC wasn't the same one now submitting, this item should
be satisfied by a pointer.

|       f. A pointer to the publicly visible comments archive for
| 	 the originating TC.
|
|       [unresolved issue to be decided in Paris: IPR policy for the
|       standards process; Terry Allen has said that he intends to
|       propose IETF rules]
|
|    Thirty days shall be allowed for administrative processing of a
|    proposed standard.  The proposal shall be submitted to the
|    OASIS membership for review at the beginning of the fiscal
|    quarter immediately following the 30 days allocated for
|    administrative review.  At the beginning of the next fiscal
|    quarter, the proposal shall be submitted to the voting members
|    of OASIS, who shall have thirty days to return a ballot
|    approving or disapproving the proposal.
|
|    The TC that originated the specification may, by formal
|    resolution, withdraw the proposed specification at any point
|    after it is submitted to OASIS for administrative processing
|    and before the end of the voting period.
|
|    In votes upon proposed OASIS standards, every OASIS member
|    organization shall be entitled to cast one vote.  Individual *
|    OASIS members (whether the membership is transferable or
|    non-transferable) shall not be entitled to vote in the approval
|    of OASIS standards.  [new language:] Votes shall be cast by
|    sending electronic mail to a publicly archived list created for
|    this purpose.  Votes may be changed up until the end of the
|    voting period.

Who casts the vote on behalf of a member org?  (consider the
chaos that could result if different individuals tried to change
each other's votes ...)

|    The results of a vote on a proposed standard shall be provided
|    to the membership and to the TC no later than seven days
|    following the close of the voting period.
|
|    If at the end of the voting period at least 10 percent of the
|    voting membership has voted to approve the proposed standard,
|    then
|
|    a. If no votes have been cast to disapprove the proposed
|       standard, it shall become an OASIS standard immediately
|       following the end of the voting period.
|
|    b. If negative votes amounting to less than 10 percent of the
|       voting membership have been cast, the negative votes and
|       accompanying comments, if any, shall be forwarded to the
|       originating TC for consideration.  After notification of the
|       results, the TC shall have 30 days to take one of the
|       following actions by formal resolution:
|
|       1. direct OASIS to approve the specification as submitted
| 	 despite the negative votes, or

"direct"?  how about "request".

|       2. withdraw the submission entirely, or

strike "entirely".

|       3. submit an amended specification, in which case the
| 	 amended submission shall be considered as if it were a
| 	 new submission, except that information regarding
| 	 previous votes and any disposition of comments received
| 	 in previous votes shall accompany the amended submission.
|
|    If at the end of the voting period less than 10 percent of the
|    voting membership has voted to approve the proposed standard,
|    or if at the end of the voting period 10 percent or more of the
|    voting membership has voted to disapprove the proposed
|    standard, or if the orginating TC upon notification of negative
|    votes takes no formal action within the 30 days allocated for
|    consideration of the results, then the specification shall not
|    become an OASIS standard.  This shall not prevent the same or
|    similar specification from being submitted again.

Finally, all these spans of days need to be qualified (globally)
as to whether they're inclusive or not.

regards, Terry