Subject: POTENTIAL NEW ISSUE: WS-RX policies not manifested on the wire

Title: WS-RX policies not manifested on the wire

Issue i009 asks whether WS-RX should define policy assertions
to define various kinds of QoS properties for a message sequence.  This
certainly seems like a good subject for discussion.
What worries is something related.

There is a tacit assumption that WS-RX policies will follow
WS-Policy (latest public version Sept. 2004).  This specification
does not state explicitly how to tell whether a message conforms to a particular
policy.  The assumption is that one can examine the headers in the
message and tell what policy is being followed.  Thus, the effect of
policies is manifested on the wire.

But neither the suggested QoS assertions nor the existing WS-RX
assertion that declares the retry-interval etc. will appear as message
headers.  So, how do we tell what policy is being followed?
Clearly, some other mechanism is needed.  One way is for messages to
carry the URI of the policy they adhere to.  Another is to define
headers in the start-sequence and sequence-started messages that indicate
policy information.
I'm sure folks can come up with other good suggestions.

Justification:  See above.

Target: policy

Type: design

Proposal:  Needs discussion

Related issues: i009, i013

I can own this issue if the WG so desires.

All the best, Ashok