Subject: Response to Issue 30 Proposal ( was Proposal for ACTION-2006-03-01-04)

Werner,

My responses are inline below.

Regards

Gudge

> All,
>
> here a proposal how to extend assertions.
>
> This AI is related to issue 30.
>

> <Proposal>
>
> The mechanism to extend a policies (token assertions) uses the
> following notation:
>
> <sp:Extensions sp:ExtensionNamespace="xs:anyURI" >
>  <wsp:Policy>
>    <any namespace=##other ...> +
>  </wsp:Policy>
> </sp:Extensions> *
>
> The sp:Extension assertion can occur more than once in a (policy)
token
> assertion to define several extensions with different namespaces. The
> sp:ExtensionNamespace attribute defines the namespace of the new
> assertions.
>
> The namespace of assertions inside the sp:Extensions assertion
> MUST match the namespace given in the sp:ExtensionNamespace attribute.
>
> The semantic of the extension assertions and their attributes is out
> of scope for the WSP specifications.

Just to be sure I understand what your intent is here; the above defines
an element that allows nested policy expressions, but those policy
expression can only be drawn from the namespace defined in the
sp:ExtensionNamespace attribute. Is that correct?

> Simple example:
>
> <sp:Extensions sp:Namespace="uri:SomeNamespace">
>  <wsp:Policy>
>    <ext:Extension_1 xmlns:ext="uri:SomeNamespace" attr="value" />
>    <ext:Extension_2 />
>  </wsp:Policy>
> </sp:Extensions>
>
> </Proposal>
>

> Some internal notes/rationale behind the proposal:
>
> The above proposal requires to define the sp:Extensions assertion in
> the WSP specification.
>
> The above notation uses the XML schema notation "any" to define that
> any well-formed XML is permitted. The namespace "##other" defines that
> any namespace except the target namespace can be used here.
>
> Using an extension mechanism in this way is compatible with WS-Policy
> and behaves correct when using normalize, merge, and intersect
> policy operations.

I don't disagree with the above assertion. However, I note that
wsp:Policy itself allows arbitrary elements, that is, it is extensible.
I'm not sure I understand why we need a bucket for 'extension elements
from namespace X'. Why can't a processor just look for elements
qualified by the required namespace. Same matching semantics, same
merging etc. but no need for an sp:Extensions element.

> IMHO the WS-SX TC shall reserve an own extension namespace to be able
> to define own proposed extensions, e.g. to define the setup of tokens
> such as UsernameToken or SAML tokens.

Why wouldn't any and all assertions defined by the spec be in the same
namespace?

> A more complex example:
>
> <wsp:Policy xmlns:wsp="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/policy";;
>
>xmlns:sp="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/07/securitypolicy";;
>
>xmlns:wsu="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wsse
curity-utility-1.0.xsd">
>  <sp:SignedEndorsingSupportingTokens>
>   <wsp:Policy>
>    <sp:X509Token

sp:IncludeToken="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/07/securitypolicy/In
cludeToken/Never" >
>      <wsp:Policy>
>        <sp:Extensions sp:Namespace="uri:SomeNamespace">
>          <wsp:Policy>
>            <ext:Usage xmlns:ext="uri:SomeNamespace" Type="manager" />
>          </wsp:Policy>
>        </sp:Extensions>
>        <sp:RequireIssuerSerialReference />
>      </wsp:Policy>
>    </sp:X509Token>
>    <sp:AlgorithmSuite>
>      <wsp:Policy>
>        <sp:Basic256 />
>      </wsp:Policy>
>    </sp:AlgorithmSuite>
>    <sp:SignedParts>
>      <sp:Header Name="Header3" Namespace="uri:namespace_3" />
>    </sp:SignedParts>
>   </wsp:Policy>
>  </sp:SignedEndorsingSupportingTokens>
> </wsp:Policy>

Assuming I bought the requirement for token usage assertions (which I
still don't), I'd re-write the above as;