Subject: Re: [ws-tx] Issue 007 - WS-C: Make Register/RegisterResponse retriable

Alastair Green wrote:
> I agree, and I believe that a URI or IRI has the useful property of
> being a globally unique identifier. This seems like a non-problem. Cf.
> Use of URI for /CoordinationContext/Identifier.

It certainly has the potential for being globally unique, at least with
a certain degree of confidence, but the issue is still one of trust that
the third party is generating unique identifiers.

The current specification does not require the registration or protocol
services to trust any other identifier than the one it generates. The
identifier is scoped to its service(s).

The suggestion to reuse the register message implies that collisions in
this identifier space cannot happen, especially if the register response
cannot return a failure message and must blindly accept the contents of
the EPR.

If we go down this route, which does seem appealing to me, then I
believe we should assume that collisions will be possible and work
defensively.  A valid response to the register request should be that
the identifier is already used (it may be a collision) and that a
recovering participant/AS should be required to identify itself using a
different request message.

	Kev