Subject: Re: [ws-tx] Re: Groups - New Action Item #0057 Review use of RFC 2119keywords ...

Hi Monica,

In my opinion both specs are right in what they state. WS-C is rightly
being as non-prescriptive as possible as to the location of a
CoordinationContext in a SOAP message thereby allowing extending specs
freedom to place the CoordinationContext where they choose. Both AT and BA
have then chosen to constrain this to the SOAP header making it easier to
produce an interoperable implementation as we only need to look in one
place for the CoordinationContext, i.e. the SOAP header.

I agree that there should be consistency between the AT and BA specs in
this regard (which we currently have) and if this restriction is indeed
the intention of the two specs then it would probably be appropriate to
highlight the point more prominently, e.g. section 2, rather than it only
being mentioned as part of the discussion of policy assertions.

Thanks,
Andy

"Monica J. Martin" <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Monica.Martin@Sun.COM
26/10/2006 17:45

Andrew Wilkinson3/UK/IBM@IBMGB, "ws-tx@lists.oasis-open.org"
<ws-tx@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Thomas Freund <tjfreund@us.ibm.com>, Ram Jeyaraman
<Ram.Jeyaraman@microsoft.com>
Subject
Re: [ws-tx] Re: Groups - New Action Item #0057 Review use of RFC 2119
keywords ...

Andrew,
In reviewing the proposed changes [1], we noted an inconsistency between
WS-C and WS-AT. Note, the same inconsistency exists between WS-C and
WS-BA. To explain, the TC previously discussed the use of SOAP headers
[2] with respect to CoordinationContext.  Reference text in the three
specifications:

   * WS-C, Section 2:

       "CoordinationContext elements are propagated to parties which
       may need to register Participants for the activity, using
       application-defined mechanisms -- e.g. as a header element of a
       SOAP application message sent to such parties. (Conveying a
       context in an application message is commonly referred to as
       flowing the context.)...When an application propagates an
       activity using a coordination service, applications MUST include
       a Coordination context in the message. When a context is
       exchanged as a SOAP header, the mustUnderstand attribute MUST be
       present and its value MUST be true."

   * WS-AT, Section 4.2:

       "The transaction MUST be represented as a SOAP header in
       CoordinationContext format, as defined in WS-Coordination
[WSCOOR]."

   * WS-BA, Section 4.2:

       "The transaction MUST be represented as a SOAP header in
       CoordinationContext format, as defined in WS-Coordination
[WSCOOR]."

WS-C allows application-defined means such as a SOAP header to be used
to exchange this context. There, use of a SOAP header is only one
application specific means. In WS-C, the constraint is that if a context
is exchanged by such means, it must be understood. As evidenced in the
references above, the statements in WS-AT (and WS-BA) are inconsistent
with this premise.

SOAP Header MUST be used to propagate CoordinationContext format that
does not exist in WS-C. Suggest these three references be discussed and
corrected to ensure our intent is clear (and consistent). Thank you.

Joe Fialli
Monica J. Martin

[1] Note, this relates to Actions #56-58, and these links.
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-tx/200610/msg00037.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-tx/200610/msg00052.html
Your response:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-tx/email/archives/200610/msg00063.html