Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Semantic difference in the first <receive>

Aren't createInstance="yes" and triggeredBy just two different ways of
saying the same ?

Cheers,

dieter

|         |           Ricky Ho         |
|         |           <riho@cisco.com> |
|         |           09/13/2003 05:05 |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  [wsbpel] Semantic difference in the first <receive>                                                                         |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

There is no way to pass data to "initialize the variables" of a newly
creating process instance.  The only thing that you can do is to put a
<receive ... createInstance="yes"/> as the first activity so that the
process instance can receive external data for variable initialization.  In

this case, the first <receive> has very different semantics from subsequent

<receive> and I argue that this should be model explicitly.  Therefore,
rather than using the following ....

<process>
             <sequence>
                         <receive partner="buyer" portType="p1" operation
="submitOrder"
variable="var1" createInstance="yes"/>
                         <receive ..../>
             <sequence>
</process>

We should use this ...

<process>
             <triggeredBy>
                         <receive partner="buyer" portType="p1" variable
="var1"
operation="submitOrder"/>
             </triggeredBy>
             <sequence>