Subject: Issue - 2- Why I think we should close Issue 2

Over the last two months I have made a series of proposals for how to
introduce sub-functions to BPEL:

 * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200310/msg00355.html
 * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200310/msg00366.html
 * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200310/msg00367.html
 * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200310/msg00368.html
 * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200311/msg00021.html
 * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200311/msg00023.html

Having spent this time living with these proposals I have come to the
conclusion that it will take us a significant amount of time to get
everything right and ready for implementers to implement.

My personal belief is that customers will benefit more by getting the BPEL
spec out as early as possible than by having sub-functions in the first
version of BPEL. Sub-functions are something that we can safely add in later
as an extension and I would certainly expect them to be part of the next
version of BPEL.

Therefore I propose that we close Issue 2 with a note that the matter should
be considered by those working on future versions of BPEL.