Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 37 - Proposal for vote

Hello,

I like part-1 if it would be enough, but it does not solve the problem of "correlateOrCreate" type of receives, which might be desireable?

Part-2 allows this feature again, but I dont realy see a big change to the current attribute, then. The same semantic could be achieved by changing the default value of initiate to yes.

A more radical solution would be to use another construct like pick, if you want to pick multiple possibilities to initiate the instance and the correlation. So this would be part-1, all correrlations are initiated if none exist, and by the use of control flow you have to ensure that no receive is activated before its expected correlation is.

Mit freundlichen Grusen
Bernd Eckenfels
Chief Architect
--
SEEBURGER AG - Edisonstr.1 , D-75015 Bretten, Germany
Fax: +49 (0)7252 96-2400 - Phone: +49 (0)7252 96-1256
mailto:b.eckenfels@seeburger.de - http://www.seeburger.de

-----Original Message-----
From: Yuzo Fujishima [mailto:fujishima@bc.jp.nec.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 12:04 PM
To: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsbpel] Issue 37 - Proposal for vote

Dear WSBPEL members:

In hope of expediting the discussion, I would like to propose a resolution
for Issue - 37 - Initiating Correlation Set More Than Once.
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200307/msg00070.html

The proposed resolution has two parts. The second part is viable only when
the first part is accepted. In my opinion, the first part should accomodate
the multiple start activity scenario and the second part lends itself to
avoid inadvertent errors.

Proposed resolution part-1:
Abolish the "initiate" attribute of the "correlation" element. A correlation
set is initiated by the first activity that references it and completes.
All the pending and future activities in the same process instance
referencing the same correlation set will not receive any messages that
do not match the correlation set.

Proposed resolution part-2:
Introduce "noInitiation" attribute with default value "false" to the
correlation element. If the attribute is set to "true", the correlation
set must be already initiated when the referencing activity starts. If the
correlation set is not initiated, the bpws:correlationViolation fault must
be thrown.

Sincerely,

Yuzo Fujishima
NEC Corporation