wsn message

Subject: Re: [wsn] WS-Addressing submitted to W3C as input

+1

I believe there are two issues here: architecture and compatibility with
existing implementations.

Architecturally, we should generally try to say as little as possible.
As has been discussed, the architectural function of an endpoint is to
provide a unique destination for messages.  This in itself is inherently
future-proof.  Any spec that provides a unique destination for messages
will work.

While compatibility is a legitimate issue (particularly for those with
existing customers using older versions :-) I don't believe it should
override architecture.  If there are not many more users of the adopted
standard than there are of pre-standardized incarnations, we're doing
something seriously wrong.  In any case, I would think that making WS-A
the default dialect would handle many (but not all) compatibility issues.

Regardless of the final weight we put on compatibility, architecture
should be driving the discussion at this point.  If we get the
architecture right, but decide we ultimately want to publish a less
abstract standard, that should not present a great problem.  On the
other hand if we create a specialized document from the beginning and
later discover a demand for greater abstraction, we'll have quite a bit
of work to do at a bad time.