wsn message

Subject: Issue: TerminationTime property should allow Set/Update

I was approached by one of our developers regarding the TerminationTime
resource property in WS-ResourceLifetime. His comments are as follows:

There is a "TerminationTime" resource property, in addition to an
operation called "SetTerminationTime".

To retrieve the value of the current termination time, you can make a
"normal" WSRF-RP GetResourceProperty call and ask for the
TerminationTime property - as dictated by the WS-RP spec.

However, to set a new value, you MUST call the special
SetTerminationTime operation - the spec explicitly states, "A
WS-Resource MUST NOT allow the TerminationTime resource property to be
modified by a SetResourceProperties request message as defined by
WS-RP".

I don't see why the need for this distinction??  It makes implementors
have to deal with this special case with no apparent need for it.

Why can't the WSRF-RL spec rely on the setting capabilities of WSRF-RP
just as it relies on the getting capabilities of WSRF-RP?  Why does it
use GetResourceProperty but not SetResourceProperties and instead define
its own special operation for setting the property?  Seems like there is
no real need for this special case - but yet it causes implementors to
have to write code for this "one-off" - we have here a required Resource
Property that we must implement, but yet we must "disable" some of the
generic WS-RP functionality for this one resource property.

Bryan

P.S. After I explained the reason for having the SetTerminationTime
operation, the developer agreed there was valid reason to have the
operation, but still felt there was no reason to have to write special
code to disable the ability to use Set to modify the property. There
will be many clients that do not need to know exacly when the
termination time really is and will just periodically renew the
subscription until it is no longer needed.