wsrf-comment message

Subject: Re: [wsrf-comment] Public Comment

Thank you for your comment.
The WS-Resource specification defines the term "resource" in the context of
a "WS-Resource". Such a resource may be a Web resource but does not have to
be. In the context of a WS-Resource, a resource is precisely as defined in
section 2.1. A wsrf:resource may not be directly addressable by an HTTP
client and may not be identified by a URI. It may be a disk drive
identified by the drive letter "C"; such a resource might be indirectly
addressable by an HTTP client through a DiskDriveService web service. A
WS-Resource representing this disk drive is the logical aggregation of the
DiskDriveService and the resource identified by "C". An example of how such
a WS-Resource may be addressed using SOAP is given in section 2.2.1 of the
PR-2 draft of WS-Resource.

Requesters see only the WS-Resource - not the wsrf:resource. wsrf:resource
is really a convenient term for the provider of the WS-Resource to
associate with the "thing" whose properties/state are described in the
resource properties document (described in the WS-ResourceProperties spec).

Regards,
Ian Robinson
WS-RF TC co-chair

             comment-form@oasi
             s-open.org
             15/10/2005 21:11          wsrf-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                                        cc

                   mark                [wsrf-comment] Public Comment

Comment from: mark@coactus.com

Name: Mark Baker
Title: Principal
Regarding Specification: WS-Resource

First off, I'm unclear what the relationship is between a Web resource and
a WSRF resource.  The definition provided in WS-Resource seems to be
consistent with the W3C one ("The term "resource" is used in a general
sense for whatever might be identified by a URI" -
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#id-resources), but I can't tell for sure.  Am
I a resource, for example?  I'm identifiable and have a lifecycle, but I'm
not sure if I'm a "logical entity" or not.

If wsrf:resource != web:resource, then I'm a bit confused about the
motivation for this specification.  Why is a wsrf:resource a desirable
thing to talk about?  That's not clear.  And why is it a better thing to
talk about than a web:resource?  By definition of a web:resource, either
wsrf:resource is equivalent, or it's less general, so again, I'm not seeing
the value.

One of the key requirements/deliverables of the spec is described in 1.1.1;

"Define the means by which a resource can be distinguished in a message
exchange between
a requestor and a Web service"

So, if wsrf:resource == w3c:resource, then you get that capability for
free, as you make that distinction simply by targetting the message at the
resource itself.   So instead of sending it to "http://example.org/service";
and adding a ReferenceParameter to get it to the next step to resource "A",
you simply send it to the URI for A, (http://example.org/service/A , if A's
lifecycle is controlled by the service).

Thanks.