Subject: Re: [wsrf] Re: xml

IANXEBP2B (I am not an XML expert, but I pretend to be)

>I think even parsing the xsd:any part of a document into sub-elements with string values makes
>assumptions, namely that each child is independent.

xsd:any does not determine how the XML is "parsed" into sub-elements.
The xsd:any does, however, help the XMl processing determine whether
a document is "valid".  Ie xsd:any plays in the validation function, not
the parsing function (deserialization) per se.

>This is not always the case for a general xml document; there could, for example, be
>key/keyref constraints on the newly added elements so that they are
>related to each other (for example, they must exist in pairs.)

I am not sure what the key/keyref is relating here.

>Is this allowed in a Resource Properties (RP)document?  If RP is
>constrained to be a list of independent children then an application
>may, as your use case suggests, copy/display them independently.
key and keyref are explicitly forbidden from appearing on an element declartion using the ref= construct.

++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
STSM, On Demand Architecture
Member, IBM Academy of Technology
<Soli Deo Gloria/>
++++++++

Tim Banks <tim_banks@uk.ibm.com>

06/22/2004 08:59 AM

        To:        "Murray, Bryan P." <bryan.murray@hp.com>
        cc:        wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org
        Subject:        [wsrf] Re: xml

"Murray, Bryan P." <bryan.murray@hp.com>  wrote on Mon, 21 Jun 2004
10:07:15 -0700

[snip]

> ... I am confused as to how an application could interact
> with a property it does not understand beyond simply displaying or
copying
> its value. If an application does understand a property that falls into
> the xsd:any portion of the resource property document schema, it does not
> need the schema - it already knows the type of this property.

A very good point, but let me check something.

IANAXEB (I am not an xml expert but..) I think even parsing the xsd:any
part of a document into sub-elements with string values makes
assumptions, namely that each child is independent.This is not always

Later, Byran Murray wrote:

> Tim,

> I was not asking about a use-case for dynamic properties, but for a
> use-case that requires a schema to be retrieved at runtime from a
> WS-Resource for dynamic properties.

> Bryan

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

Regards, Tim Banks
IBM TP Architecture & Technology. Hursley, UK.
Phone: External +44 1962 815639, Internal 245639