Subject: RE: [wsrf] Singleton Resource Pattern - meaning of "implied"

Hey Tim,

Thanks for this.

I don't think this clarifies things. What does it mean to have
"implicit" or "explicit" execution context. If you include something in
a message, either in the header or in the body, you are doing so
explicitly. If the middleware does it for you without your knowledge,
that's a different manner. The case still remains that the service
requires you to include something in the message that is going to be
used for its own purposes. This is not bad per se. What's bad, in my
opinion, is that as a requestor you have to reason about it, you have to
be aware of what you are talking to (i.e., the resource). At the
architecture level, you are sending messages to the resource and not to
the service (the service just happens to receive the messages on the
resource's behalf). There is nothing implicit about this.

I would have called it an "implicit" pattern if I didn't have to do
absolutely anything special as a requestor and the service was able to
figure out things just from the message I send. For example, I send a
document that requests a status report on a previously submitted order.
As we do in real life, I give the order number as part of my request. I
talk to the service. The service will analyse the document and figure
out what information it needs from the entire document (e.g., the order
number plus my name) to establish the execution context. We do this
today already and it's called service-orientation. BPEL is based on the
same idea. We don't need to _explicitly_ model resources. (But I think I
am going to a different argument here :-)

Best regards,
--
Savas Parastatidis
http://savas.parastatidis.name