Subject: Re: [wsn] Re: Anyone need UK info?

Jem,

Thanks for the info. In many ways you know better than I (an ex-pat
American).

On 23 Jul 2004, at 18:32, Jem Treadwell wrote:

>  First, some questions that I'm hoping someone else will answer:
>
> 	• 	Do taxis in the Heathrow area take credit cards, and if so, is
> AmEx likely to work?

My guess it not. The Black Cabs @ Heathrow will be VERY unhappy about
the short (and hence small) fare to Hayes Park. [The Hotels are
probably OK, since they get a special pass to re-enter the queue toward
the front.] Most of the hotels are accessible via a hotel bus system.
There are local taxi firms that you need to book in advance. The two we
use are: LHR +44-1895-444333 and Challenger +44-20 8759 3399. You could
call them on arrival also, but might have to wait. For people with real
travel nerves I recommend LHR's "Meet and Greet:" service. A cheerful
person in a VREY bright green jacket will meet you just after customs
and take you to your ride. This service is not free! £10 pounds I
think, but don't quote me.

> 	• 	Do hotel rooms in the UK generally have US-style modem jacks?
> (More on that below)

Often, and most hotels can supply adaptors, but to be on the safe side
bring a UK to US adaptor to be sure. Some hotels will have broad band,
but I haven't used the UL hotel system much lately. Recall that we will
have wireless (without restrictions) available throughout the week,
even from the company lobby. For those who have a wireless failure, we
can get you a wired connection too, but only at meeting breaks.

>  Here are all the other things that seem important, in no paricular
> order:

<snip/>

> 	• 	Pub protocol: ....   Then at 10:50 or whatever time the landlord
> calls for last orders, everybody else has to buy a round, which has to
> be drunk by the time the landlord calls time, 20 minutes later.

My Jem you have been away for a long time. "Last orders" is pretty much
a thing of the past and it certainly doesn't happen before past
midnight! [If you're drinking past midnight, don't expect mercy from
your chairs wrt attendance records.]

> 	• 	Money:
>
> 	◦ 	 Don't assume you can use dollars anywhere - you probably can't.

Although some establishments are starting to take Euros.

<snip/>

> 	• 	Language (1): Soda means fizzy water, and the words 7-Up and
> Sprite don't exist, as far as I know.

Sprite is known now.

>   If you want something that resembles these, ask for lemonade - and
> don't worry: the taste won't have any resemblance to lemons.  I don't
> know the English word for real lemonade. but there used to be one.

This still confuses me after 22 years.

>   Coke's pretty universal.

Don't you mean ubiquitous?

> 	• 	Coffee: I'm not sure how easy it is to get decaf; we haven't
> really noticed that caffeine has any effect.  Don't expect to get free
> refills.

You will have to ask for decaf or make it yourself at Fujitsu. And the
word "refill" doesn't exist in British English.

> 	• 	Tipping:
>
> 	◦ 	 You should tip, but not at 15%, and a lot of people regard it as
> optional.  There's no percentage figure - I never understood why the
> tip should be related to the size of the bill.  I think someone else
> might give better guidance on this than I can.

No such luck. I still haven't figured that one out.

> 	◦ 	Sales tax: There is some, and it's built into the price in most
> cases, so you can forget about it.  You don't want to know how much it
> is.

The price you se is what you pay. Just remember that the government has
added 17.5% to what the shop wanted to scalp you for.

> 	◦ 	 Bathroom shaver sockets are always different from the normal
> square-pin sockets, and might (??) accept US plugs at the appropriate
> voltage - somebody with more up-to-date knowledge please help with
> that one.

Yes, most hotels have dual voltage/dual plug type shaver sockets (not
that I have ever checked that they work  :-).

> 	◦ 	It's impossible to form UK phone numbers into any recognizable
> pattern, and you can't write a regular expression to parse them.

Oh so true so true!

> 	◦ 	Apparently it's illegal to drink or eat while you're driving,
> which probably explains why the car I rented a couple of months ago
> only had one cup-holder.  But that's one more than British cars used
> to have.  I believe it's also illegal to use a hand-held mobile phone
> while you're driving.

True.

> 	◦ 	 You should observe the speed limit, because it's certainly
> observing you.  Speed cameras are indiginous to the British Isles, and
> they've learned the secret of procreation.

Yes, I even tend to slow down on my bicycle when I see the tell-tale
lines on the tarmac.

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE

     +44-208-606-4649 (Office)
     +44-208-606-4539 (Fax)
     +44-7768-807526  (Mobile)

This e-mail has been scanned by Trend InterScan Software.

This e-mail (and its attachment(s) if any) is intended for the named
addressee(s) only. It may
contain information which is privileged and confidential within the
meaning of the applicable law.
Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful.

If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and
contact the sender via email return.

Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Ltd (FLE) does not accept responsibility
for changes made to this email after
it was sent. The views expressed in this email may not necessarily be
the views held by FLE.

Unless expressly stated otherwise, this email does not form part of a
legally binding contract
or agreement between the recipient and Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Ltd (FLE).