Subject: Re: [wsrf] Some Thoughts on WSRF61: WS-RF Primer/App Note/Usage Notes

Alan, (& Ian)

+1

These are good suggestions. I also think supporting documentation is
important to encouraging uptake of the specifications, and worked on the
Primer for the OGSI specification so, to a first approximation, upgrading
that book would be one way to start a document for supporting WSRF.
Attached are the index pages of the OGSI Primer for you to get a flavour of
it.

(See attached file: OGSI Primer Index Pages.pdf)

You can see the whole document by googling for
'draft-ggf-ogsi-gridserviceprimer-5'

I think the difference between this and what you are suggesting as an
'appnote' is that it spends more time on introduction: 'Primer' suggests
the first port of call for people who want to know about WSRF, but not the
last word in normative definition. We already have the whitepapers on
Stateful Web Services which act as some kind of introduction, so I would
imagine folding some of that material into a Primer, but also including
simple, illustrative examples.  You'll see that this takes around  60
pages.

What you are proposing below seems to me to be illustrative of more
realistic usage of the WSRF specs and how it combines with other specs, so
it might build on the concept of a 'Primer'.

Regards, Tim Banks
IBM TP Architecture & Technology. Hursley, UK.
Phone: External +44 1962 815639, Internal 245639

Ian Robinson/UK/IBM@IBMGB wrote on 21/08/2004 12:54:48:

> Alan, I think you have a pretty good initial set of items for
> consideration. My comments:
>

> Rather than "Definitions of various terms: WS Resource, Implied Resource
> Pattern, Factory Pattern, etc (we can extract information from the two
> whitepapers (The WS-Resource Framework and Modelling Stateful Resources
> with Web Services)" we should use the material from the new normative
spec
> (that we kicked off at the last F2F). These definitions need to be part
of
> the normative specs.
>

> For use cases, the WS-RP use-cases that Rich talked about are also
valuable
> (ie modelling portlets as WS-Resources)>
>

> Regards,
> Ian Robinson
> ian_robinson@uk.ibm.com
>

>              "Alan

>              Weissberger"

>              <ajwdct@technolog
>              ist.com>                  wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org

cc
>              06/08/2004 20:09          dirceu@ccrl.sj.nec.com,

>                                        tatemura@ccrl.sj.nec.com

Subject

> *  We specifically stated that Issue WSRF48: Specify behavior of nillable
> properties was a candidate for the App Note/Primer. "This should be
> clarified or described as a best practice in the Primer, should we decide
> to write a Primer."
>

> Any comments, suggestions, ideas?
> Alan Weissberger
>
> 1 408 863 6042 voice