Subject: RE: [wsrf] ISSUE: Should resource lifetime require WS-Resource.

That is right. Application is to WS-Resouces only. That is, an EPR
without reference properties may still work :), but the one which refers
to that WS-Resource would not. There is no assumptions made about EPRs
refering to non WS-Resources here.

I used EPR to describe this, but the actual semantics is "don't talk to
here no more -- nobody home" :)...

So normatively it may be descibed as follows "Destroy messge exchange
results in the WS-Resource being destroyed and not available for access
after that. Any means used previously to access the WS-Resource must
result in a fault." So that is my suggestion.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: Jeffrey Frey [mailto:jafrey@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 1:45 PM
To: Sedukhin, Igor S
Cc: meder@mcs.anl.gov; Steve Graham; wsrf-oasis

I guess there is no hard architectural reason to limit this to a
WS-Resource. But the intent was clearly to destroy the specific instance
of the stateful entity represented by the WS-Resource. I find it
confusing to destroy a "stateless" web service, although as you point
out it might simply mean that the service stop accepting requests. I
assume this would render a deployed "stateless" web useless. I guess I
do not like the application of this semantic to non WS-Resources. This
was about instance lifecycle.

And to be precise, we don't send things to an EPR. We send messages to a
web service addressed by one or more EPRs. The operational state of the
WS-Resource/Web service being destroyed is the issue at hand here,
regardless of which of the many possible EPRs may have been used to
address it.

Jeffrey Frey

IBM Distinguished Engineer
OnDemand System Architecture and Design
Phone: 845-435-3067  Tie: 8-295-3067  Cell: 914-456-6556
Notes: Jeffrey Frey/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS
Internet: jafrey@us.ibm.com

             "Sedukhin, Igor

             S"

             <Igor.Sedukhin@ca
             .com>                     Steve Graham/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS,

                                       <meder@mcs.anl.gov>

             11/01/2004 12:28
cc
             PM                        "wsrf-oasis"

                                       <wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org>

Subject
                                       RE: [wsrf] ISSUE: Should resource

                                       lifetime require WS-Resource.

The WS-Resource is destroyed. That is, don't send nothing to its EPR no
more -- there is nobody there. I think that this is more obvious
semantics than destruction of a "stateful resource component of the
WS-Resource"
which, by the way, has never been normatively defined anywhere else.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)