Subject: Re: [wsrf] [WSRF Issue 81] clarification

can you expand on why the semantics of xsd:import are any easier to support than xsd:include?  I don't see much of a distinction to conclude either are particularly easier to support.

sgg

++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
STSM, On Demand Architecture
Member, IBM Academy of Technology
<Soli Deo Gloria/>
++++++++

Tom Rutt <tom@coastin.com>

11/30/2004 10:10 AM
Please respond to
tom

Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
cc
Steve Graham/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Christopher B Ferris/Waltham/IBM@IBMUS, wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [wsrf] [WSRF Issue 81] clarification

I remember the wsi-bp discussions the same as Anish.  WS-I bp does allow
xsd:include in the type section.

However, the wsrm group is allowed to decide on its own not to use xsd:
include in our specifications.  Personally, I think that import
has semantics which are easier to maintain on the long run than include.

Tom Rutt
Fujitsu

Anish Karmarkar wrote:

> WS-I BP 1.0/1.1 does *not* say that one should not use xsd:include.
>
> The requirements in section 4.2.2 [1] are meant to prevent someone
> from using xsd:import to import WSDL docs and using wsdl:import to
> import XSD docs. It does not talk about xsd:include since there is
> nothing equivalent to that in WSDL.
>
> Essentially:
> 1) xsd:import and xsd:include follow the rules defined by XML Schema
> and import/include schemas in the types section of WSDL. Such
> xsd:import/xsd:include can occur only as a child of
> wsdl:definitions/wsdl:types/xsd:schema
> 2) wsdl:import imports WSDL documents and *not* XSD docs and must
> occur only as child element of wsdl:definitions
>
> These requirement seem to be NOOP/obvious, but during the discussion
> in WS-I BP WG, it was revealed that this was indeed a interop concern
> as some folks used xsd:import/wsdl:import to do weird things -- hence
> their inclusion.
>
> HTH.
>
> -Anish
> --
>
> [1]
> http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1-2004-08-24.html#WSDL_and_Schema_Import
>

> Steve Graham wrote:
>

>> Hi Chris:
>> As a co-author on WS-I BP 1.1, could you provide some insight into
>> R2002?
>>
>> sgg
>>
>> ++++++++
>> Steve Graham
>> (919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
>> STSM, On Demand Architecture
>> Member, IBM Academy of Technology
>> <Soli Deo Gloria/>
>> ++++++++
>>

>> *Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS*
>>
>> 11/29/2004 03:22 PM

>>     wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org
>> cc
>>
>> Subject
>>     RE: [wsrf] [WSRF Issue 81] clarification
>>

>> The discussion in this area revolves around how to interpret the
>> following statement from WS-I BP:
>>
>> R2002 To import XML Schema Definitions, a DESCRIPTION MUST use the
>> XML Schema "import" statement.
>>
>> If the first "import" is interpreted to mean "reference external",
>> then this statement requires the use of import rather than include.
>>
>> If the first "import" is interpreted to mean the definition provided
>> by XML Schema for the import statement, then it doesn't have that
>> meaning but also becomes a meaningless statement.
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> *"Murray, Bryan P." <bryan.murray@hp.com>*
>>
>> 11/29/2004 03:03 PM

>>     Steve Graham/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, <wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org>
>> cc
>>
>> Subject
>>     RE: [wsrf] [WSRF Issue 81] clarification
>>

>> I believe that the statement about WS-I was made at the October
>> face-to-face although my memory is notoriously faulty. I searched
>> through email and meeting minutes and did not find discussion of this
>> point.

> [...]

Tom Rutt                 email: tom@coastin.com; trutt@us.fujitsu.com
Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133