Subject: RE: [dais-wg] WSRF Embodiments and DAIS

Happy New Year to all!!!

Dear Ian,

I see that no one has replied to your message.

I can’t, of course, speak for the DAIS WG but I would like to comment on your suggestion that WS-Addressing is all that is required for consuming a WS-RF-based service. I believe this to be an oversimplification. For example, just because my middleware gives me TCP/IP socket programming interfaces it doesn’t mean that I can suggest that the same middleware supports HTTP although, of course, socket programming is all that is needed to implement HTTP-based communication. The same is true of WSRF. Just because some middleware has support for WS-Addressing, it doesn’t mean that it automatically supports WSRF. Could we say something similar about WS-AtomicTransaction and all the other specs that use WS-Addressing?

Yes, it is possible to write SOAP messages that can communicate with a WS-RF-based service but the same could be said about WS-AtomicTransaction and WS-Security without having explicit support for them. In fact, I remember Don Box demonstrating SOAP-based interactions using only emacs and http. Also, Jim Webber and I are presenting a tutorial at WWW2005 on Web Services (shameless plug :-) where one of the examples requires someone (probably me since I type faster) to type the SOAP messages. I personally don’t count that as middleware support :-)

Please, don’t take my comments as a concern against WSRF. That’s not my intention. Just giving my views on your question since no one else replied.

Best regards,

--
Savas Parastatidis
http://savas.parastatidis.name

From: owner-dais-wg@ggf.org [mailto:owner-dais-wg@ggf.org] On Behalf Of Ian Foster
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 1:21 PM
To: dais-wg@ggf.org; wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Fwd: [dais-wg] WSRF Embodiments and DAIS

I wanted to ask if I could get some clarification regarding the concerns of the DAIS-WG relating to the use of WSRF.

When you talk about "non-WSRF middleware", you seem to be concerned in particular about clients. Now the only requirement beyond WS-I compliance that is placed on a client of a WSRF service is that it support WS-Addressing, and WS-Addressing is widely supported by essentially all major Web services implementations: Axis, BEA, IBM, Microsoft at least. Thus, this doesn't seem to me to be a major concern.

Are there other concerns that you have?

Ian.